lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
rednekroper05
Not Yet Wild

Default what to do on 90ds

ok i have a 90 ds that i believe the batteries are dead in. It will charge a little and run but the guage never show it is getting a good charge it just blinks. Am I right in my assumption?

Also I am sure there are other threads asking the same thing but what can i do to make it able to handle large knobby tires and travel more than 5-8 mile per charge.
rednekroper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what to do on 90ds

First step is to determine what type of speed control system you have. Is there a speed control box or is there a row of resistor coils behind the batteries?

Can you put a voltmeter on those batteries?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
rednekroper05
Not Yet Wild

there is a row of coils.
rednekroper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you have a row of coils behind the batteries then you have a 36v resistor coil cart. You should have six 6v batteries. They should all read above 6.0 volts on DMM, digital multi-meter.
It can be converted to modern Solid State speed control which will increase run time and allow you to put more voltage to your motor to turn those big tires you want.
The bad news is you better start winning every jackpot to pay for it
Old 01-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It can be converted to modern Solid State speed control which will increase run time and allow you to put more voltage to your motor to turn those big tires you want.
ScottyB is right about the conversion costs as I have checked into it myself.

Another option you have, and the one I'm going with myself on my 80's DS, is to find someone selling a newer cart that is trashed except for the wiring & controllers to use as a parts cart. Just take GOOD PICTURES of everything while you're taking it apart to remember where everything goes when it comes time to put it back on your cart.

The plus side is you get the parts to convert yours AND hopefully some parts to sell off to help recover the purchase price.

The negative side is you have to have the room to do all this without people yelling at you about it.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
wildandwonderfulprod
Gone Wild

I've been trying to find a good parts cart to do the same with my 93 DS resistor coil cart. Trouble is, every cart I find is a regen cart and not a series! I know the F/R switch is different between regen and series but other than that, is there anything that makes them a deal breaker for being a good parts cart to swap out with mine? I'm not going to swap the motor obviously but I want to convert to 48v so that's what i'm looking for in a parts cart.....
wildandwonderfulprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
wildandwonderfulprod
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you have a row of coils behind the batteries then you have a 36v resistor coil cart. You should have six 6v batteries. They should all read above 6.0 volts on DMM, digital multi-meter.
He's right! Its NOT CHEAP!!!!!!!!!
wildandwonderfulprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You guys a kind of barking up the wrong tree on the stock cart parts..... a stock series cart runs 12-14 mph, you would have to upgrade all the components to run big tires and get good torque...
Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yeah scotty is right if you just buy a cart with a stock controller setup you can change the cart to a controller cart but other than that you gain nothing.......a resistor cart and a stock controller cart go the same speed the only difference is your batteries may last a little longer................you need to upgrade from stock........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All of the stock Controllers are going to be in the 250-275 amp range with 50-75 amp solenoids.
What you guys need is an aftermarket controller with 4-500a capacity and a 2-400a solenoid....big difference in performance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car