lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
tmirisola
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Chatter Noise. Bad Battery??

After driving my 2004 DS Electric cart for 15+ golf holes, when I step on the pedel I get a small chatter (as if something is slipping). The batteries are dated 12/09. I charge the batteries every time I use the cart.

Would low voltage (bad battery) cause a chatter when starting to go? Then the cart runs fine once it starts rolling.

Tom M
tmirisola is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Chatter Noise. Bad Battery??

Yes, even one bad battery can cause the chatter. Four 12v last about 3-4 years on average, Sometimes less. It just depends upon their size and the use and maintenance they have had.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmirisola View Post
After driving my 2004 DS Electric cart for 15+ golf holes, when I step on the pedel I get a small chatter (as if something is slipping). The batteries are dated 12/09. I charge the batteries every time I use the cart.

Would low voltage (bad battery) cause a chatter when starting to go? Then the cart runs fine once it starts rolling.

Tom M
scotty is spot on, depending on how they were maintained if they are 12 volt batteries they may in fact be done..............when you charge do you let the charger always finish and shut off by itself? if not thats a problem so if you do need batteries they will need to be broken in and maintained on a regular basis..............but yes 1 bad battery will cause the cart to do just what its doing.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
tmirisola
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks

I do charge until the charger shuts off and use distilled water to keep the cells to the correct fluid level.

I have six 8 volt batteries in series. I purchased a good hydrometer to try and find the potential problem.

Do I check each cell with the hydrometer after I charge the batteries of after I drain the batteries via using the cart.

Is it a good idea to use a battery fluid/acid additive????? My batteries are 3 years old.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks

I do charge until the charger shuts off and use distilled water to keep the cells to the correct fluid level.

I have six 8 volt batteries in series. I purchased a good hydrometer to try and find the potential problem.

Do I check each cell with the hydrometer after I charge the batteries of after I drain the batteries via using the cart.

Is it a good idea to use a battery fluid/acid additive????? My batteries are 3 years old.
Use distiled water only to top the batteries off. If they are low before charging them, just fill them to just above the plates and to the correct level after charging. Charge the batteries up and let them rest for 12 hours and then take a voltage reading of each battery with a meter and post them.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Rockman59
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

In a system with six 8 volt batteries even ONE BAD CELL in one of the batteries will cause problems. I had an ongoing problem with my cart and two of the batteries, which were only a year old, were not charging fully and had to be replaced. Took the cart out and again it only made it around 16 holes. Did a discharge test and a hydrometer test and found a bad cell in one of the remaining batteries. The dealer that I bought the batteries from ended up replacing all 6 of the batteries at no charge.
Rockman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its hard to get people to beleive or understand how one bad cell can cause a problem.......but it can and does..............................
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
its hard to get people to beleive or understand how one bad cell can cause a problem.......but it can and does..............................
I hear you on that one. I alway try to explain that a battery is really 3 or 4 batteries connected together, if one dies then the chain is broken and the electricity can't get through. Sometimes they understand, sometimes they stare at me like I have 3 heads...
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
tmirisola
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Is it a good idea to use an additive like Battery Equalizer?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Is it a good idea to use an additive like Battery Equalizer?
if your batteries are good and you maintain them theres no need......................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car