lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Is my charger about to die? Help please....

first off, I have a 2007 TXT Series cart, 36v, new batteries, Interstate U2200's (maybe 2 months old, been broke-in properly) and I have a Powerwise II charger.

Recently, as is this last weekend, the cart got a lot of use, and like normal was put on the charger every day. last night when the kids were done riding and in for the night, they hooked up the charger and it took right off, I went out to see where the SoC was at and it was at about 70%, when I got up to go to work, 8 hours later it was still charging and I didn't think anything of it and was up to 40.2v. but what worries me is when I go home this evening, 13 hrs later, its still charging, its up to 45.2v and down to about 2-4 amps and KI can still hear the batteries "gurgling/percolating". I might add that at times I have listened and the batteries didn't seem to be percolating, that was earlier in the charge cycle.

SO that question is.......is this indicative of my charger going south, or do I have a bigger problem?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Is my charger about to die? Help please....

after a heavy use mine has taken up to 20 hrs to charge .. but mine does shut off at 44.5 and settles to 38.3 ... some times i hear bubbling some times not ... i know this does not help with your cart but i think at 45.2 your good .. take it off and see what it settles to ..
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I just got to thinking, could the plug and socket need to be taken apart and made nice and shiny? as in the male and female parts could just be a little oxidized, such that the current doesn't flow like it should??
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
after a heavy use mine has taken up to 20 hrs to charge .. but mine does shut off at 44.5 and settles to 38.3 ... some times i hear bubbling some times not ... i know this does not help with your cart but i think at 45.2 your good .. take it off and see what it settles to ..
Thanks crash, that does make me feel better, it cut off at 45.4.......and the last time it settled at 38.5

cause I gotta tell ya.....I REALLY want it to last till its time for a new set of batteries, as I will be upgrading to 48v at that time.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
crash test dummy

i always do a monthly cleaning of mine ..lite emery cloth
my batteries are 2010's so that may be the dif on volts .. also the texas heat ? lol
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i always do a monthly cleaning of mine ..lite emery cloth
my batteries are 2010's so that may be the dif on volts .. also the texas heat ? lol
could be, its just something for me to do Friday when I'm off......I did my monthly battery maintenance Sunday.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
I just got to thinking, could the plug and socket need to be taken apart and made nice and shiny? as in the male and female parts could just be a little oxidized, such that the current doesn't flow like it should??
It certainly wouldn't hurt to clean the connections and check the wiring in the charge loop occasionally.

The white wire from the charge receptacle that connects to the battery pack's main positive terminal, originates at the center connector on the diode assembly inside the PW II charger.
Connect your DVM test leads to both ends white wire circuit and plug charger into cart and into AC power. You should read close to zero volts when charger is putting out max amps.

Unplug charger from cart and AC and reconnect test leads on black charging wire.
Black wire goes between battery pack's main negative terminal and the ammeter in the PW II charger.
Should also read about zero volts while charger is pumping out max amps.

Voltage drops across the black and white wires reduces charging current flow and prolongs charging time, but the batteries will receive the full charge the PW II is capable of delivering unless the combined voltage drops are several volts.

On the other hand, having excessive resistance in the battery sense wiring can cause undercharging of the battery pack.

To check, measure the voltage between the lead portions of the battery pack's main positive and negative terminals while the charger is in its final phase (Amps down to 5A or less) and then measure the voltage between the red and black wires on the charger's control module. They should be identical.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys.....I'll take a look this weekend, one I get my "honey-do's" done. The cart kicked off at 23 hrs, and 45.4 volts, and as you mentioned, it was rode hard both days....darn teenage kids!!! LOL
Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Thanks guys.....I'll take a look this weekend, one I get my "honey-do's" done. The cart kicked off at 23 hrs, and 45.4 volts, and as you mentioned, it was rode hard both days....darn teenage kids!!! LOL
Get a seat cover with an embedded wire mesh, connect a battery powered electric fence charger to it and rig a relay to turn it on when the average pack voltage dropped below 50% SoC.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Get a seat cover with an embedded wire mesh, connect a battery powered electric fence charger to it and rig a relay to turn it on when the average pack voltage dropped below 50% SoC.
GOOD IDEA!!!

actually my grandson was with all weekend, and he LOVES the cart.....he is about to start Drivers Ed and can't wait to get behind the wheel, so anything that rolls and go's, he is game! lol

We had a little "lesson" to ensure he doesn't overload anything and seeing as I have the Digital Voltage read-out on the dash.....he knows to keep an eye on it....He just didn't realize the difference between running voltage and rested voltage on the read out. He's a really good kid and will take care of the cart....he just ran the crap out of it and it was TIRED!! lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO