lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Trojan batteries

I'm possibly in the market for some new batteries. I hear and see a lot of people talk about Trojans. The only kind of Trojan I know about has nothing to do with batteries. What makes them so good? What seperates them from say exide, optima or any of the other cart batteries out there? Are they worth the extra money?
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan batteries

Trojan isn't the only golf cart battery manufacture as you noted In some cases they may not even be available in your local area. Shipping a set of batteries doesn't make much sense either obviously. Attached are charts with the most common 6v and 8v golf cart batteries. Pick the highest Ah rated battery to fit your budget and you will be ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There is a bit of difference between Trojan Brand products and Trojan Battery products.

In the early 1950's the Trojan Battery Company pioneered the development of Deep-Cycle Lead-Acid batteries for Golf Carts and until recent years, their batteries powered nearly all the electric carts found on golf courses, so Trojan Batteries are the yardstick other golf cart batteries are measured by.

They have competition now and some cart manufactures install other brand batteries in their carts at the factory, but I suspect it is due to bean counting (accountants) rather than quality (engineers).

Several manufacturers make quality deep-cycle batteries, so there is typically more difference in the grades of batteries in a brand then there is the same grade of battery in different brands.

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck is the highest AH battery you can afford at the lowest price you can find locally.

A 36V battery pack made with six T-105 batteries is what is generally accepted as the standard battery pack for a 36V golf cart.

Here is a list of 6V batteries commonly used in golf carts and how the compare to a T-105.
The better batteries (higher AH) are at the top of the list and if there is a tie, they are sorted alphabetically by brand name.

------------
I see sportcoupe posted while I was typing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (102.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I bought Super Start GC110DT (made by East Penn) 230 AH batteries from O'Reilly's. I paid $413.94 plus tax for 6 in 2013. They have exceeded my expectations so far. The local Trojan dealer wanted $660.00 plus tax for T105's that have less AH ratings. Could not justify Trojan purchase.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I went with T105s, but for a different reason. I may sell my cart after the summer, and I think Trojans have more perceived value to non battery people. Its a brand thing. I paid $499 here in Atlanta for 6 6 volt batteries.
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm in he same boat as kellybell in Houston I just paid just shy of 800 but they are great
Ray and Lori's g14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I wanted to get 260AH batteries, but all the vendors within reasonable driving distance thought the plate were made out of gold instead of lead.
Ended up with seven of the highest AH 6V Exide makes (245AH), special ordered through a local tractor supply that was an Exide dealer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The real thing is to call around. Prices vary quite a bit, and it may be worth it to drive quite a distance if you find a good deal. Compared to the cost of six or eight batteries, gasoline is cheap.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
jacksdad3
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

They make batteries, too?

Well, I guess that makes sense...in a perverted way!
jacksdad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
LSU_TXT
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

In the middle of trying to decide on which Trojan to go with myself.

That's what she said........
LSU_TXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO