lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Bull203
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Steering Issues on 95TXT...Please Help

Hey All,
I have searched the forum but didnt find a clear answer so figured id offer up a post. I have a 95txt that i have stripped,cleaned, lifted and anything else i could find to do to it. Well, i have noticed that there is play in my steering,enough to where I would feel more comfortable if it was fixed. What would be procedure for this, change the bushing.... the entire arm.....add a stabilizer? what do you guys think?
Bull203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steering Issues on 95TXT...Please Help

If it were me, I'd first do a little test. While holding on to the steering wheel, move it (the steering wheel that is)just a little. I mean about an inch. While you are moving it, watch the tire rods (they come out of the rack and pinion) They should move. In fact it should be very hard to move the wheel at all without seeing the tie rods move. That is the way rack and pinion steering is.

Also watch the steering column to ensure it is turning.

If it does move, I would pay attention to the spindles, tie rod ends, and bushes (if you have them)

If you can move it (even a half an inch) and not see the tie rods move, then I am afraid your rack and pinion box is bad and will need to be rebuilt, or there is a u joint in the steering column that could be the culprit.

I just realized, you may not have rack and pinion steering on your cart. If this is true, then my little test wont work.
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My steering was squirrely and it turned out to be my alignment. Got it aligned correctly and steering is much better plus I picked up 2+ MPH. May want to check it out. If that's not it I'd check ball joints. Past that I'm not sure.
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

That cart doesn't have rack and pinion steering, it's a 95 model. It's just a worn steering gear, mine is the same way. Gets a little squirrely at 30 mph. It just need s replaced.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I see. Well, my little test may help anyway. Do the test and see if you can see any parts that are causing slop. Turn the wheel, and see what parts seem to absorb the torque you are applying to the wheel. Film it and post if you can!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Chances are the steering rack is worn out. Had a 96 cart doing the same thing and had actually started jumping when the wheels were binding. It is kind of a pain put pull the steering box apart and check the rack and the pinion gear for wear.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have a 98 TXT that got squirrel over 30 MPH. I replaced the rack and pinion, but there are are bushings that can't be be be replaceable. I replaced the entire steering housing and it was fixed.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I don't think he has R&P........
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Bull203
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Im gonna take a picture of what i have and post it this evening. Should help with this discusssion
Bull203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO