lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Powerwise Charger Problems

My 98 Ezgo TXT Powerwise charger when plugged in clicks and then goes off. Batteries are new and after 18 holes of golf are at 80% charge. Please help. Thanks.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise Charger Problems

There are several different models of Powerwise chargers. Is this the one you have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There are several different models of Powerwise chargers. Is this the one you have?
Yes JohnnieB, that's my charger. Cart is stored at the golf course. Grandson used the cart yesterday and reported the charger problem. Went to the course today only to find that the breaker was tripped. Thanks for your interest.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is the charger working normally after resetting the breaker or is it still misbehaving?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Is the charger working normally after resetting the breaker or is it still misbehaving?
Yes, it works normally. The breaker tripped last summer as well as other times before. All is well as long as I have the Club Car and the EZGO plugged on the same circuit. When one of my fellow storage mates plugs their cart on the same circuit and all three kick on, breaker trips. Don't know what happened this time. Only two carts were using this circuit.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The electrical system for the Golf Cart chargers need upgrading.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you know the size of the breaker? A charger will pull the most amps when it's first plugged in, then over time it will pull less. So you may have had them starting at different times before?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Three golf carts charging will pull close to 20 amps @120 Volts AC. If the circuit has a 20 amp breaker it is overloaded or has the potential to be overloaded anytime three golf carts are plugged into the same line. If three carts are plugged into the same circuit and the power fails when the power is restored all three chargers will come on at the same time at full rate and trip the breaker. My Powerwise charger is rated at 9.5 amps AC.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all of the responses. The circuit that my two carts are plugged into has a 20 amp breaker. When everyone in my storage garage plugs into their assigned receptacle, I have not experienced problems. It appears that the breaker was tripped when only one cart was actually charging. We often use both carts at the same time, therefore charging both carts at the same time without problems prior to now. I agree the course has an electrical problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can be a weak breaker too. You are using the circuit at almost the max capacity, so the breaker will be close to tripping. They will age quicker like that. A new breaker may solve the problem.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO