lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
chuck3815
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1974?

I am trying to get this golf cart to run. It ran before and now does not but will if I use starting fluid. I took it to a golf cart repair shop and he said that it was not the right carb. But I said then why did it run before? No comment his the bill. He said that the engine was not a Robbins. The tag on cart says gx440. Can anyone tell me what they thing the problem might be. Thanks so much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (168.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (243.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (174.6 KB, 0 views)
chuck3815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1974?

If it ran before with that carb it sounds like a fuel issue. Lack of getting to carb, dirty filter and carb or cracked line and loosing prime. Check these items and make sure you have fresh gas.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree, right or wrong carb it should be able to run. start with the basics, make sure it has compression, and how much. (I see 120 written on it but who knows how long ago that was and if the guy doing it read the gauge right, or had a bad gauge, who knows. I never trust anything! LOL!) Also make sure it has spark. If it runs with starting fluid it should have compression and spark. Once you verify compression and steady spark (not intermittent spark) then I would pull the carb, and check for anything plugging it up. Clean it, reassemble it, and put good fuel in it and it should run (assuming spark and compression are good).
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I found a piece of electrical tape in my tank that was getting sucked up and clogging the fuel picku tube.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #5
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreenmachine72 View Post
I found a piece of electrical tape in my tank that was getting sucked up and clogging the fuel picku tube.
Well that won't help it run at all! LOL. Did you get it started after the tape removal?
Tom

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes it did run. My wife thought I was crazy buying another cart, I didn't tell her until I arrived home to unload it that it was buy one get one free. Lol. It was two Yamaha G1's.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
LocoGary
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like carb issues, the red goo don't help.

GX engine usually means Honda
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemp...es_gx440/parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LocoGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoGary View Post
Sounds like carb issues, the red goo don't help.

GX engine usually means Honda
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemp...es_gx440/parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZGO Marathons carried the "GX" model numbers, GX440 was the 3-wheel Marathon, GX444 was the 4-wheel, IIRC
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
chuck3815
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for all replies. I checked the compression again and it indeed was 120.
Something I was wondering. Seeing how the gas tank is above the enging, does it need a fuel pump? It has one and I put new gaskets in, rubbers the whole thing in kit. But I use to race bikes and we never used fuel pumps because of tank above the engine.
I do think that I will take tank out and drain and wash out to be sure its clean.
Thanks for all your help and crossing my fingers.
chuck3815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck3815 View Post
thanks for all replies. I checked the compression again and it indeed was 120.
Something I was wondering. Seeing how the gas tank is above the enging, does it need a fuel pump? It has one and I put new gaskets in, rubbers the whole thing in kit. But I use to race bikes and we never used fuel pumps because of tank above the engine.
I do think that I will take tank out and drain and wash out to be sure its clean.
Thanks for all your help and crossing my fingers.
Yes you need a fuel oump, the tank is barely above the engine on a bike it is fully over the engine. Pulling the tank and cleaning it is a good idea, as is changing the fuel lines. When done, fill it with gas and leave the line affordable at the carb and just crank it enough to make it shoot out fuel. That way you know the pump is working and all is God up to the carb. Then plug it into the carb and I'd the carb is good, she should start!
Tom

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO