lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium discharge question

Find out what charger and voltage your batteries require! If you way undercharge them you will get poor range and you may ruin them by overdischarging them.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #12
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Find out what charger and voltage your batteries require! If you way undercharge them you will get poor range and you may ruin them by overdischarging them.
The charger came specific for the batteries!
Iflyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Very likely a faulty charger.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #14
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I would assume using my normal lead acid charger would possibly damage the batteries?
Old 05-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #15
ClubCarDave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
i have a big battery hsky 103 ah in my RXV that runs 28 mph so it draws a lot of amps and havent had any problems since i put it in a couple months ago
I have a similiar setup with my Club Car and the Navitas controller. I recently added the Big Battery Husky 48v battery and am still trying to figure this all out. At the beginning I turned off the master battery switch on the Husky battery but then the Club Car OBC didn't like when I Powered it back on and I had to run a reset procedure to make it happy again. Since then I've been leaving the master battery switch on but I think the trade is that it is constantly discharging while I am not using the cart. I guess I need more insight from some of the other golf carters on how to solve this problem or if this is a trade that I have to live with. Thks.
ClubCarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:13 AM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyasa View Post
I would assume using my normal lead acid charger would possibly damage the batteries?
You should not use a lead acid charger with lithium. Totally different, and non compatible charging algorithm. You can use a current limited laboratory or bench power supply though, as long as it’s voltage is high enough to charge the pack.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:17 AM   #17
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCarDave View Post
I have a similiar setup with my Club Car and the Navitas controller. I recently added the Big Battery Husky 48v battery and am still trying to figure this all out. At the beginning I turned off the master battery switch on the Husky battery but then the Club Car OBC didn't like when I Powered it back on and I had to run a reset procedure to make it happy again. Since then I've been leaving the master battery switch on but I think the trade is that it is constantly discharging while I am not using the cart. I guess I need more insight from some of the other golf carters on how to solve this problem or if this is a trade that I have to live with. Thks.
Remove/bypass the OBC, It’s not needed with lithium, especially since you’ve also got a Navitas controller.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #18
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
You should not use a lead acid charger with lithium. Totally different, and non compatible charging algorithm. You can use a current limited laboratory or bench power supply though, as long as it’s voltage is high enough to charge the pack.
The charger that came with it is the Battery Evo S-1000-58.4. It’s suppose to charge up to 58V. Yet full charge was only 50.0V, and when they arrived they were 53.2V. It seem like the charger isn’t charging enough or need to be adjusted. This was my first charge. But 7-8 miles at 53V doesn’t sound right on my first ride until it died. It has a charger screw to adjust the output. I need to check the voltage and maybe adjust the screw? I’m not sure what charge it should be set to.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You need to work with the battery supplier and get a charger that works correctly for your batteries. I don't know what battery chemistry you have and that makes a world of difference in the charger requirements. If you have batteries that are fully charged at 58V, then a 50V charger ain't going to charge them correctly as you found out.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #20
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You need to work with the battery supplier and get a charger that works correctly for your batteries. I don't know what battery chemistry you have and that makes a world of difference in the charger requirements. If you have batteries that are fully charged at 58V, then a 50V charger ain't going to charge them correctly as you found out.
Batteries were pre charged to 53V. The charger is rated at 58v. My first full charge shows 50v. I tried to charge them after I installed them. At 53V the charger didn’t do anything. I assumed the batteries were full at 53v. What concerns me the most is the 7-8 mile range I got on that charge. I just assumed it didn’t have a full charge from the factory. Now with a 50v full charge I’m worried my range will be even less. I didn’t enjoy pushing my cart when it died. When it died on me it was completely dead.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO