lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Grounding to frame.

I read several posts on grounding to the frame. My cart does have a ground wire from the B- to the frame. Is it supposed to? I know the lights ground on the frame. Should they be wired directly to the B- instead? This cart has been SOOOO rigged!!!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Grounding to frame.

on an electric, there should be absolutely no grounds to the frame! what cart do you have? we can help you with a schematic of the wiring. you need to post up a pic. you have something seriously wrong. after trying to read your previous post, i think you should slow down and start over. year, model, etc. maybe a pic of the motor set up as it is now.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Never ever ever ever ground to the frame as Jim said. Should always be grounded back to the pack.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
on an electric, there should be absolutely no grounds to the frame! what cart do you have? we can help you with a schematic of the wiring. you need to post up a pic. you have something seriously wrong. after trying to read your previous post, i think you should slow down and start over. year, model, etc. maybe a pic of the motor set up as it is now.
I know it's confusing, sorry about that! I don't even know what model EZ-GO I have. My camera is screwed up so I can't send you pics! It's an all metal body, 80" wheelbase cart. " Ground " may be an incorrect term. It has a junction where several wires connect to. The negative from the battery pack connects there as well as the controller B-. The negative lead from the original charger plug is connected there also. There are 3 smaller wires( maybe 10ga ) also connected there. This connection point is an insulated block. There is, however 1 lead from this block directly to the frame. It looks to be 10ga also. The cart has aftermarket headlights that ground to the body ( someone just stuck the ground wire of the lamps under the mounting bolts ). I'm realizing now that this is incorrect for a cart to be wired up like a car or truck. The other wires I mentioned do go up front in a harness, so I will try and find them and hook the lights to them. I've wondered why all those negative leads went to an insulated connection point! Thanks so much!!! All these little mysteries are now coming to light! Ok, here's the stumper question, What is the purpose for electrically isolating the body and frame?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
........What is the purpose for electrically isolating the body and frame?
Blindness, explosions and acid baths come to mind, but there may be other reasons also.

The battery pack contains several Megajoules of energy, more than enough to create an arc many times brighter than the Sun.
Hydrogen gas is produced during the charge/discharge cycle and all that is needed is a spark to go BOOM!
The electrolyte is 35% H2SO4 and there are gallons of it waiting to be launched.

If B- is attached to the frame, any metal to metal contact between any of the high current carrying cable connectors and the frame could:
A. Weld the short circuit in place
B. Explode one or more batteries
C. Spray gallons of Sulphuric Acid all over everything in the vicinity.

While isolating the frame doesn't eliminate all the safety hazards lurking under the seat, it does mitigate some of the avoidable ones.

When working under the seat, always wear safety goggles, full face shield is preferred.
Avoid using wrenches long enough to short between battery posts if dropped. (Torque spec for battery terminals is only 100 In/Lb, so you don't need much leverage)
EZGO and other cart Manufactures advocate using insulated wrenches. (Personally, I believe insulated tools tend to create a false sense of security)
The batteries themselves are the source of the hazards and they cannot be turned off.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Blindness, explosions and acid baths come to mind, but there may be other reasons also.

The battery pack contains several Megajoules of energy, more than enough to create an arc many times brighter than the Sun.
Hydrogen gas is produced during the charge/discharge cycle and all that is needed is a spark to go BOOM!
The electrolyte is 35% H2SO4 and there are gallons of it waiting to be launched.

If B- is attached to the frame, any metal to metal contact between any of the high current carrying cable connectors and the frame could:
A. Weld the short circuit in place
B. Explode one or more batteries
C. Spray gallons of Sulphuric Acid all over everything in the vicinity.

While isolating the frame doesn't eliminate all the safety hazards lurking under the seat, it does mitigate some of the avoidable ones.

When working under the seat, always wear safety goggles, full face shield is preferred.
Avoid using wrenches long enough to short between battery posts if dropped. (Torque spec for battery terminals is only 100 In/Lb, so you don't need much leverage)
EZGO and other cart Manufactures advocate using insulated wrenches. (Personally, I believe insulated tools tend to create a false sense of security)
Thank you so much! I found another reason last night! It may prevent the nasty shock from having your sweaty arm touch a live terminal while laying on the frame!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you so much! I found another reason last night! It may prevent the nasty shock from having your sweaty arm touch a live terminal while laying on the frame!

A non-lethal, non-permanent lesson learned.

If I could bottle all the electricity I've had pass through my body from doing dumb things, I could run my cart a couple miles without batteries.

BTW, is the cat real or photoshop?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=JohnnieB;610432]Blindness, explosions and acid baths come to mind

rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
greenmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I read several posts on grounding to the frame. My cart does have a ground wire from the B- to the frame. Is it supposed to? I know the lights ground on the frame. Should they be wired directly to the B- instead? This cart has been SOOOO rigged!!!
Ditto to everyone else's comments. I mounted a tag light on my cart and it was designed to use the frame as a ground. It didn't take me long to realize that that's ummm.... bad idea. As the controller delivered more amps, the tag light got brighter and the head unit squealed. I used a flat piece of PVC to isolate the tag light and grounded to the battery pack and no worries.
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

the box you described is your controer. can you see the mfg.s # stamped in a metal plate in the right glove box. last two # are the year model. also, here are some pics to tell what type of cart. with info, we can send you a wiring dia gram.. that one small wire should not go to ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg systems.jpg (103.6 KB, 12 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO