lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
UFGators
Not Yet Wild

Default What to expect with 500 amp controller and Stock Motor

I am purchasing a 2005 EZ-GO PDS that I am going to add a long travel lift and 23" tire setup. What type of speed/torque should I expect with the Alltrax DCX 500 Amp controller and and HD solenoid 400amp? I will be using a minimum of 4guage wires. I would greatly appreciate input. Thanks
UFGators is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Crawler487
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: What to expect with 500 amp controller and Stock Motor

With a bigger controller, your speed will not change much if any at all, but there will be a difference in the amount of torque it will have. The issue with a stock motor and a 500 amp controller with larger tires is that your stock motor is most likely going to run much hotter and probably have a very short lifespan because of it. I would recommend upgrading your motor to something like a D&D 170-501-0001 which is a 13.5 hp motor which is supposed to be used with a 500 amp controller. You would definitely be satisfied with the torque you would have with this set up!
Crawler487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The DCX controller will increase the cart speed to ~24 mph on stock 17.4" tires. Increasing tire size to 23" has the ability to increase speed to ~31 mph but the stock motor doesn't have the power to obtain that theoretical speed. You will probably see 26-27 mph in real life on flat, hard roads.

As for using a 500 amp controller on stock motor, lots of people have done it. Just don't get into any high load situations (lots of people on cart going uphill from a dead stop) and you will be fine. If you have a need to load the cart get a laptop and reprogram the controller for 400 amps max current output and you'll be perfectly safe.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
UFGators
Not Yet Wild

Would the 400 amp controller
Be a safer choice? What should I expect from that?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Any time you use a larger than stock controller (or any part for that matter) you will put more load on the rest of the parts. I would go with the 500 amp controller because it will leave room for future upgrades.
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
UFGators
Not Yet Wild

I really appreciate all of the info. This forum has been very helpful! What price range are the after market motors such and d and d for my future reference?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGators View Post
I really appreciate all of the info. This forum has been very helpful! What price range are the after market motors such and d and d for my future reference?
You should look them up yourself through several different suppliers as each supplier can vary greatly.... I'd also be looking at Plum Quick motors as with them you are not dealing with a middleman.....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You should expect a pds stock motor to have a reduced life @ 500a. Use a 400a or a better motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

GCT is right. Most people are happy with a 400a control and 200a solenoid and 4g cable set in this cart. You will be surprised how much 40% more torque and 24mph improves this cart. Add another battery under the drivers seat for 17% more speed and torque.
We sell the control, solenoid, resistor and diode pkg#808 here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

8 hp D&D motor for this cart is also available. (500a control & programming required) But as Crawler mentioned this will reduce top speed. Speed and torque are in constant trade off.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
UFGators
Not Yet Wild

Would the 400a controller allow me to use aftermarket motor in future?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO