lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Trojan to US Battery swap

Dips?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #12
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Dips?
DIP Switches or small jumpers...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
No for some reason (?) US Batteries don't have the same charge profile as most all other batteries... They tend to be undercharged if charged in the basic universal charge algorithm used by most all other batteries/chargers...
Has anyone else heard this before? Are you saying all us batteries, or just the 12 volt ones will undercharge? 8 volt us batteries?

Also, if i were to swap out trojan batteries, and install US Batteries, both in a club car with a powerdrive charger or in an RXV or TXT with that powerwise QE charger, and DO NOT change anything with the charger, that the new us batteries won't charge to 100 %?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Hold on......

Battery watering systems are designed to last the life of ONE set of batts.

Re using them increases the chance of failure (stuck floats-- ruined batts) GREATLY..

The reason to use watering systems is to ease maint of batts.....
Needing to remove caps to confirm proper fill negates purpose of filler system.

I recommend new system for those batts..... Batts too expensive to chance it.
HTR ( or anyone ), this is the first time I have heard this about a 1 time use for watering systems? Is this documented somewhere, or where have you got this info from? I would like to know, because many times I try to sell customers new trojan batteries, but they since they have us batteries witha flo rite system, they end up buying the us battery, just to reuse the watering system. And i have reinstalled their system for them on new batteries.

Please kick down some info on this, because if they are doing themselves a dis service by resusing the system, i need to tell them this.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Info from Battery rep.

Floats/seats and moving parts in Float system gets contaminated/degraded form acid
exposure and battery chemicals.

Also chemicals/minerals/contaminants from water used by golf courses --
many do not use distilled or even filtered water.

Think about the crud on the floats when you pull tops to check them.
just a little of that could stick a float or stop a seal from stopping water into cell.

see "RXV auto-brake III problems"..

A thread which should be titled "why not to use well water in batts and autofill systems"
Most problems in thread relate to battery problems and autofill systems.
Yes Auto-brakes did lock up and fail-- usually because of batt problems.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
BigDaddy0
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for all your replies.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, my cart is at my trailer and we have no internet. I completed the swap and all went well. The battery bracket would not fit on the USBAT's with the supplied caps, so it forced me to use the watering system caps. The caps are in good condition, no
damage or build up on them, floats are free. The only thing I had to do was buy some 1/4" x 3/8" PVC tubing to re-plumb the system. I had to cut 1" off the battery bracket tabs due to the USBat's having a lip on the side for the handle. After install bats measured 50.4 vdc, First charge went to 54.4 vdc and took about 3 hours. I ran it around the park a few times, and noticed a vast improvement going up hills. Parked it over night and charged it this morning, which took 45 mins. I attached pictures including my charger, it seemed to work okay, no faults.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Before.jpg (157.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Bracket Before.jpg (153.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Bracket After.jpg (148.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg USBAT Installed 1.jpg (152.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 48v Powerwise Charger.jpg (5.7 KB, 0 views)
BigDaddy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
polocheck
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

US Battery recommends a charge to 61.2v. Trojan recommends a charge to 59.2v. If you use your current charger it will be undercharging your new batteries, leading to early battery failure. I'm sure one of the other guys on here can explain exactly how much/quickly performance is lost in the short term and long term.
polocheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would still like to see some sort of documentation that watering systems have a life of only 1 battery set life.

I am not referring to any watering systems that came from a course, i am talking about personal use by people that have reused their watering systems.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #19
BigDaddy0
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by polocheck View Post
US Battery recommends a charge to 61.2v. Trojan recommends a charge to 59.2v. If you use your current charger it will be undercharging your new batteries, leading to early battery failure. I'm sure one of the other guys on here can explain exactly how much/quickly performance is lost in the short term and long term.
I neglected to check the voltage after the second charge this morning. I'll have to run more tests this weekend. Also the old batteries were charged the night before I removed them and measured 50.4 vdc in the morning. After removing the old batteries a neighbour came over and load tested them, they all came out good, but not perfect. I replaced them because they are 8 years old and I was noticing sluggish performance. Maybe I've got a charger issue. How much discharge should occur in 10 hours after charging. From my understanding Ezgo had a warranty issue with Trojan and changed the supplier to US Batteries. Did Ezgo change the charger to accommodate this?
BigDaddy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

According to their stories (ezgo), the charger is now a Dv/Dt charger, so it should theoretically be OK for either brand. Their story, not mine. Also, not sure when this supposed change took place (not sure I believe it did).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO