lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
fr8train
Not Yet Wild

Default Will my PDS work for a hunting cart?

I have a TXT48 PDS cart that I got into at a great price and I was going to make it into a hunting cart.
I think its a 2011 model, it has good batteries, and I just bought a cowl and body for it off craigslist that im going to paint. I just bought some 20.5" tires that I need to put on In the next few days.
Here is where I need the advice... I am happy with the speed of the vehicle but not with the hill climbing here in western Kentucky. Nor how it went in light mud with the stock tires. I have contacted Scotty B about a controller package that if I keep cart I'm going to order( 500 amp controller package). I also have a D&D motor picked out. But I called Rick at PQ and he cautioned me on turning a PDS cart into what im wanting. He said I would be better off with a series cart and recommend club cart for that. I know very little about these machines and want to know if you guys think that I would be ok with going on with this pds cart or before I sink too much $ in it go ahead and get a series cart. Also why do I keep reading that the series carts are better suited for torque?
I know that's a ton I've put out there but any advice will greatly be appreciated. Thanks
fr8train is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: Will my PDS work for a hunting cart?

I've heard these remarks before. I'm not sure what their reasoning is. I can tell you there is a company that makes a hunting cart that is PDS. (Beast 48 ) I have a cart that has been modified with many of their parts. (Basically what your planning to do) There maybe some slight benifit to a series, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I would recommend a limited slip dif. Right after I installed the big motor I took it up a steep hill and one tire started spinning. After the dif change, I can pop a wheely going up that same hill.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Probably ly because the PDS carts are more suited for speed and series motors from what I have heard make better torque but are slower. But enough upgrades a pds can make torque and with some upgrades a series can make speed. Maybe just his preference as a professional motor builder? They do hold the world speed record for a golf cart at over 100 MPH so I think the Steens at PQ know what their talking about.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Probably ly because the PDS carts are more suited for speed and series motors from what I have heard make better torque but are slower. But enough upgrades a pds can make torque and with some upgrades a series can make speed. Maybe just his preference as a professional motor builder? They do hold the world speed record for a golf cart at over 100 MPH so I think the Steens at PQ know what their talking about.
They are a very good speed shop. I'm not sure what they offer in high torque hunting motors? I see they offer custom built motors too.

I have an 08 PDS with an XCT500 control and D&D 502.1 8hp high torque motor on 42v. I'm running little 20.5" knobbies and the cart has torque to spare for any hill. Top speed on the flats is a respectable 25 mph. What more can you ask?

P.S.
Info on Series vs Sepex motors is common knowledge among cart techs. Basic characteristics of each motor type can be found on my website under the upgrade help section, just click on the lifesaver on the homepage. You will find some simple informative reading based upon years of cart service & thousands of carts upgraded. Enjoy the project
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
They are a very good speed shop. I'm not sure what they offer in high torque hunting motors? I'll research a bit
Your right. But in that case wouldn't the recommend a pds with faster speed already? I'm learning here too
Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
fr8train
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will do the upgrades and stick with the PDS.
fr8train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A lot of what you hear about series and sepex is dated information. Go to my website and read the indicated information above. Things are not exactly black & white.
Today's motor and controller technology has advanced which has allowed faster series carts and higher torque sepex drives. There are controls which offer field map switching for sepex carts. This would be the best of both worlds but, it looks like the application is having some growing pains.

I meant to post PQ also makes custom motors, so they can make a motor to suit the task at hand. As can other manufactures.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

I meant to post PQ also makes custom motors, so they can make a motor to suit the task at hand. As can other manufactures.
This is what I was thinking about when I read his post.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO