lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: recommended motor or at least starting point

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
With my EMP motor, I had requested 23mph. Chuck at EMP said he would target 24mph with weight allowance.

Installed the motor with XCT400 and field map he sent with turbo turned off. He said this would get you to your desired speed and he was right on.

He also said I could turn on turbo for additional mph if I was not at the 23mph that I wanted.

I have left turbo off and may turn the max throttle down a little because of my teenage kids.

EMP gave me exactly what I was wanting and was very happy.

As Johnnieb explained the motor stuff was just mind numbing and EMP simplified it for me.

I also got high speed banding, but don't completely understand how it works. EMP said I did not really need it, but said it would help with over sped.

The other option I did not do was they can put some sort of temperature sensor on the motor that has wire leads that you can run to a buzzer or light...to help monitor your motor temperature. Sounded cool...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Looks like I'm going to have to chit-chat with Chuck and pick his brain a bit.

High speed banding allows the armature assembly to spin higher RPM without exploding.

In a nutshell, an armature is a several coils of wire wrapped around a framework and when it is spinning, centrifugal force is trying to pull it apart. If it spins fast enough, the force trying to pull it apart becomes greater then whatever is holding it together. The high speed banding helps hold it together so it can withstand being spun at a higher RPM then it could withstand without the banding. Unless your cart setup is capable of spinning your motor over about 6000RPM, high speed banding probably isn't needed, but having it certainly won't hurt.

Monitoring motor temperature is a good idea. Here is a recent thread about it. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...emp-exist.html

The first attached picture is what happened to my stock PDS motor, the second picture is what it should look like.
From what I have been able to determine, the catastrophic failure was a combination of excessive temperature and high RPM (8000+)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock PDS Motor - Exploded Armature.jpg (250.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Stock PDS Motor -2.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
I know options will change the price but what is te starting point on these EMP motors. About what did your actual motors cost...those of you with EMP?
I was given 3 options to fit my request. All 3 would have given me the mph that I wanted.

I went with option 2 because it was not much more and would handle higher temps. It also had upgraded brushes as best as I can describe it and then I added the high speed banding option.

Option #1 that I did not go with was close in price to a bandit... with core.

I am not sure how all their pricing options works, but that gives you an idea of how pricing starts.... definitely worth talking to them.

I really like how Chuck spent time on the phone with me and also emails on all the options. I felt comfortable he knew what I was wanting and he could deliver.

When you buy a motor, it's not like you get it and try it out and think maybe I can return it. You really have to get it right up front.

skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I was given 3 options to fit my request. All 3 would have given me the mph that I wanted.

I went with option 2 because it was not much more and would handle higher temps. It also had upgraded brushes as best as I can describe it and then I added the high speed banding option.

I am not sure how all their pricing options works, but that gives you an idea of how pricing starts.... definitely worth talking to them.

I really like how Chuck spent time on the phone with me and also emails on all the options. I felt comfortable he knew what I was wanting and he could deliver.

When you buy a motor, it's not like you get it and try it out and think maybe I can return it. You really have to get it right up front.

Yep that last paragraph sums it up!
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #14
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Quote:

Do you by chance have chucks extension or are they small,enough to just ask for him. Thank you
wheelnsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM   #15
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to chit-chat with Chuck and pick his brain a bit.

High speed banding allows the armature assembly to spin higher RPM without exploding.

In a nutshell, an armature is a several coils of wire wrapped around a framework and when it is spinning, centrifugal force is trying to pull it apart. If it spins fast enough, the force trying to pull it apart becomes greater then whatever is holding it together. The high speed banding helps hold it together so it can withstand being spun at a higher RPM then it could withstand without the banding. Unless your cart setup is capable of spinning your motor over about 6000RPM, high speed banding probably isn't needed, but having it certainly won't hurt.

Monitoring motor temperature is a good idea. Here is a recent thread about it. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...emp-exist.html

The first attached picture is what happened to my stock PDS motor, the second picture is what it should look like.
From what I have been able to determine, the catastrophic failure was a combination of excessive temperature and high RPM (8000+)
Chuck really knows his stuff; he worked at GE for many years, I believe he even played some role in transitioning the golf market to shunt wound motors. (According to former colleague of his I spoke with)

He has some kind of motor voodoo powers. I am always amazed at what he's been able to make some of his creations do.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Chuck really knows his stuff; he worked at GE for many years, I believe he even played some role in transitioning the golf market to shunt wound motors. (According to former colleague of his I spoke with)

He has some kind of motor voodoo powers. I am always amazed at what he's been able to make some of his creations do.
I just sent an e-mail to EMP, it will probably end up on his desk.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #17
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was really impressed with Chuck...he spent a lot of time on the phone with me talking about motors for my golf cart before I decided to buy a motor from him. His emails with all the information and options were so detailed...it was really nice to have the amount of detail when buying a motor.

I ended up purchasing what he called an aftermarket motor... the diagram or CAD type drawing he sent me had the motor studs in different positions from my OEM motor. I thought my cables lengths would have to change to reach the motor studs, but after talking to Chuck about it... he just located the motor studs in the same place as an OEM motor when he built it for me...that to me was pretty cool...

skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO