lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default F/R--micro switch wiring?

I have few issues I'm trying to work thru on my 1998 xi-500.
#A55540, 36v

MY current delema is locating where the wires go to from the micro switches on the forward and reverse. One had a white wire located on the switch near the B+ which was cut and I can't verify where it goes to.

On all the diagrams Ive located it shows 2 wires attached to each Mswitch but no where does it say where they go to, so hopefully one of you guys can help me verify for sure where each wire goes.

Thank you, Please someone know! lol....my brain is fryied
ANIMKEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: F/R--micro switch wiring?

The bad news is that I don't have anything in my stash on a '98 XI500.
The good news is that EZGO used the same drive system across models and model years.

So, once we figure out what controller and throttle type your cart has, we can find a schematic that will work for it.

Pictures of what is under the seat would be helpful.

------------
The microswitches on the F/R assembly are "Run" and "Reverse" rather the "Forward" and "Reverse".
The contacts in one microswitch (MS-2) are closed when direction selector lever is in either F or R.
The contacts in the other microswitch are only closed when direction selector is in R.

B+ is connected to MS-2 and is jumped over to the other microswitch with a short wire. The B+ source varies, but as long as it is ultimately connected to the B+ terminal on the battery pack, it will work.

The switched output of MS-2 goes to the keyswitch and the switch output of the keyswitch goes to the pedal switch, whose switched output goes to the solenoid coil and one of the small pins on the controller.

The switched output of the other microswitch goes to the reverse beeper and to the 1/2 speed pin on the controller. (Cart will run without this switch connected to anything.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hopefully these pictures are visable and working. I marked the switches I and II. I tested both for continuity and both are good. II is open until depressed, I is closed until depressed.
When I wired the way you explained I only had a constant beep from backup alarm and had constant B+ to solenoid with key switch in off. My key switch is a 2 prong I hope that is correct.
I tested the pedal switch and its good as well, but I don't hear a click at all with solenoid only the click from pedal switch.
I did test the motor and it does work but this wireing is messed up somewhere.

The batteries are old and reading at 33v output I am going to replace those tmrw, but even at 33v it still should at least move right?

Thank you JonnieB for your help I really appreciate it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1197.JPG (153.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1198.JPG (146.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1201.JPG (114.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1202.JPG (102.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This diagram is how my cart was wired when I got it last week except for the double Micro switch at the F/R. Mine is a single switch and had a white wire attached to it which was cut off.

In this configuration the cart did not run but I thought it might just be the batteries, but they all charged up to 5.8v so I thought that might be enough to move on testing the line.

I replaced the solenoid but used the old resistor and found that to be bad so I'm waiting on that part.

Wanted to show this diagram to show you how it looks cause might be hard to tell from photos.

thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E-Z-GO_Solid_State.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMKEG View Post
hopefully these pictures are visable and working. I marked the switches I and II. I tested both for continuity and both are good. II is open until depressed, I is closed until depressed.
When I wired the way you explained I only had a constant beep from backup alarm and had constant B+ to solenoid with key switch in off. My key switch is a 2 prong I hope that is correct.
I tested the pedal switch and its good as well, but I don't hear a click at all with solenoid only the click from pedal switch.
I did test the motor and it does work but this wireing is messed up somewhere.

The batteries are old and reading at 33v output I am going to replace those tmrw, but even at 33v it still should at least move right?

Thank you JonnieB for your help I really appreciate it
The pictures show you to have what is essentially a Marathon controller cart.
I screwed up and described the way the microswitches are connected in a later design series drive.

As shown on the schematic, both switches use the NC (Normally Closed) contacts, so the switch you have labeled "II" is the wrong type of switch. The cart will not operate with that switch installed on the passenger side of the F/R assembly, as shown in your picture.

You might be able to flip the switch you marked "I" over and use it fro the run switch.

The reverse switch needs to be a double switch, or if you use a single switch, you have a choice of half speed reverse, or a reverse beeper.

I suspect the cutoff white wire you found was from the potbox (throttle). They got 1/2 speed reverse by putting a 5k fixed resistor in parallel with the 0-5k pot, so the throttle input was only 0-2.5K in reverse.

On the other hand, I don't see a gray, two conductor cable like the one going to the controller, going to the F/R assemble.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The way the picture is II would be on the driver side, i have it flipped up for the picture.
So ms4 from the diagram sits where I currently have II.
I would be ms2.
My ms4 needs to be a double? Is the diagram correct from what you can tell in my photos?
Where can i order it if thats what i need?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Another thing that looks odd JonnieB is on the potbox, that switch has 2 connect points, but shouldnt it actually have 3?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I guess I flipped the picture when I should have flopped it.
With "II" in the MS-2 position, the cart will run.

A double microswitch is needed if you want both 1/2 speed and the beeper to sound in reverse.
Here is the Double microswitch used for MS-4: https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Limit-Switch.html
It is on back-order at EZGO, but if you google the part number (12796G1), you'll get several hits.

Only the C and the NC contact are required for the switch on the potbox.

I cannot find a schematic for a 1998 XI500 specifically, but the one you have was used extensively in similar carts and your cart will work if it is wired as shown on it.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok I think I'm making progress...thank you so much !

So I take II move it over to the ms2 spot, then add the double to ms4 location
and I should be good up to that point.

Last night I looked at the potbox and I noticed something that might be wrong.
the one that is on the cart has the 2 wires coming from the controller but does not have any wires that come out which should go to ms4.

so based off the solid state diagram my potbox needs addressing? I think I can pick up one at the local dealer or online.

with those two things replaced my cart will look exactly like the diagram.
It seems like whoever had this cart before me tried to rewire it or something cause there is no way it ran the way it sits just because of dead batteries right?

Ill let ya know how this turns out..once I get this thing to match the diagram. Hopefully the controller is ok.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO