lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2016, 02:58 AM   #21
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Longest Extension Cord For Charging

Thanks everyone for all the help and feedback.
konakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I said it once and I will say it again. This can be a fatal shock hazard. Use a GFI if you do this!
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #23
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakid View Post
Yes "Clemson" those are pretty much my thoughts. The utility pole is metal, the carport will be steel - so no fire chances there. And the cord will be lying on impassable thick forest floor where no one will ever be walking, digging, etc. The forest is always too moist to burn. And critters that could bother the cord are really not an issue.

So - back to two last questions please.
1) Would/could an inadequate cord set-up damage cart electronics, batteries, and or charger?
2) And shouldn't the breaker trip before any fire situation might develop anyway?
Most people on here iterate my thoughts. The one issue that you seem to dismiss is critters. It would only take a squirrel to cut your cord or worse. Even if the fire hassard is low, you don't want to have to run this again. I would look at regular cable inside plastic conduit. This would not be expensive.

To answer your second question, no, a fire can occur without tripping the breaker.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

A guy at our campground ran an extension cord a long distance. It wasn't quite long enough so he grabbed a second cord, plugged into the first cord, brought the cord into his shed, coiled the excess cord neatly on the floor, and plugged his load into the cord. In the middle of the night the smell of burning vinyl woke him up. He went out to the shed, opened the doors and was hit with a wall of smoke. The coiled cord generated enough heat to melt down its own insulation starting a small fire. Luckily the shed did not catch on fire too bad, he was able to knock it down with a garden hose. The twenty amp breaker the cord was plugged into never tripped.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #25
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is one of the dangers of using an under sized cord
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #26
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it was me and I wanted to run power out to a shed that was over 100' away, I would not use an extension cord as a permanent source of power no way no how, too many variables to make that safe for long term. IE damp/wet conditions, cords deteriorate in prolonged sunlight, animals like to chew on cords etc. I understand the difficulty in trying to bury an underground cable in your location, but how about just laying pvc pipe in a small trench scratched just a few inches wherever possible and exposed where you can't. Then just bring some 10 gauge thhn from the panel to an outlet at you desired location. This is still not an ideal installation, but would provide some degree of mechanical protection, and mitigate some of the inherent dangers of a cord just laid on the ground. Also make sure to use a GFCI breaker.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #27
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Again - thanks for the valuable info and safety feedback.
1) Yes - a GFI will definitely be used.
2) And - regarding critters - we don't have many - no squirrels, no rabbits, no coyotes/foxes/wolves, no deer, moose, etc. The only potential problems would be rats, mongoose, or an occasional pig - all of which an electrocution would be an improvement. :) Cutting the cord, fishing the cord through conduit, then installing a new plug might be wise. But I will probably wait to test drive things first and check for heat, etc.
3) I'm thinking the long term solution would be several poles and an above ground run. It would be mostly hidden in the trees, and much much easier to install.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't think you want to put an extension cord in a conduit for the same reason it is not code to put romex (standard household wire) in a conduit. HEAT. The potential exists for the cord or covered wires to overheat in the conduit. Single strand wire is by far the least expensive wire. 3/4" conduit is relatively cheap and mongoose proof (nothing short of a cargo container is pigproof). Use 10g wire and a 20 amp GFI just to be safe, but 12g might do it.... I do believe all the major chargers are recommending a 20a dedicated circuit. Good luck and Aloha
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #29
konakid
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I don't think you want to put an extension cord in a conduit for the same reason it is not code to put romex (standard household wire) in a conduit. HEAT. The potential exists for the cord or covered wires to overheat in the conduit. Single strand wire is by far the least expensive wire. 3/4" conduit is relatively cheap and mongoose proof (nothing short of a cargo container is pigproof). Use 10g wire and a 20 amp GFI just to be safe, but 12g might do it.... I do believe all the major chargers are recommending a 20a dedicated circuit. Good luck and Aloha
Thanks Scotty, I didn't think of that - I was just on Craigslist looking to get a reasonable electrician up here for an opinion and quote. I try and do everything myself, but I'm getting used to a project always ending up double what I plan on anyway. :)

But I figure a professional viewpoint and maybe installing adequate service for some lights and a power tool or two would be worth the expense - if not immediately - maybe when the cash flow resumes. :)
Old 05-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Any real electrician will have or want to do it to code. Th ey won't half trench a wire in run non single strand wire in conduit. They won't recommend useing an extention cord. They will however put you a dedicated 20a receptacle on the pole with proper cover and GFCI installed.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO