lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #11
16ezgoEL6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My Fan install

Of course now I have to ask where you got your fans.. the ones I'm seeing on amazon (most of radiator fans) and are 12v 70-90 watts a piece!
16ezgoEL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #12
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll go check my fans, I do not think I screwed up in the post..... That would be a serious error..... Thanks for pointing it out......
Henri
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #13
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

16ezgoEL6 & others,

I must humbly apologize to you and all reading this thread, I did make a mistake (or mis-spoke for politicians) on the power ratings on the fans "The fans are rated at 18watts at 12VDC So that's 1.5 amps per fan, or 3 amps, which should be #14 wire" is in fact incorrect. 16ezgoEL6 is correct, they are 80 watts. So that would be 6.6 amps per fan, or 13.3 for the pair. The wire size could remain at #14.....

I guess at my level of maturity, I should double check!!!!!

Again, my apologies!!!!!! Off to hide in the corner.......

Henri

Last edited by ncrr; 07-30-2016 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: spelling......
Old 07-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #14
16ezgoEL6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My Fan install - APOLOGIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrr View Post
16ezgoEL6 & others,

I must humbly apologize to you and all reading this thread, I did make a mistake (or mis-spoke for politicians) on the power ratings on the fans "The fans are rated at 18watts at 12VDC So that's 1.5 amps per fan, or 3 amps, which should be #14 wire" is in fact incorrect. 16ezgoEL6 is correct, they are 80 watts. So that would be 6.6 amps per fan, or 13.3 for the pair. The wire size could remain at #14.....

I guess at my level of maturity, I should double check!!!!!

Again, my apologies!!!!!! Off to hide in the corner.......

Henri
No problem at all, was hoping for a lower power draw on my setup lol!
Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #15
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

16ezgoEL6,

Please let me know how you make out getting wires thru and past all the bolts.... I may retry......

Right now I'm in the middle of replacing ALL the bolt hardware on the cart that I can get to with stainless. Most of the exposed stuff is showing rust, and next it will be staining things. Living close to salt water on the coast raises hell with hardware.

Henri
Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
16ezgoEL6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
16ezgoEL6,

Please let me know how you make out getting wires thru and past all the bolts.... I may retry......

Right now I'm in the middle of replacing ALL the bolt hardware on the cart that I can get to with stainless. Most of the exposed stuff is showing rust, and next it will be staining things. Living close to salt water on the coast raises hell with hardware.

Henri
Will do! I haven't bought the fans yet but I'm planning on before my next weekend getaway in mid august!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 AM   #17
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

16ezgoEL6,

As I had mentioned in the original post, "If you are adventuresome, the dial part can be mounted elsewhere (as I have done), since there is a small cable attached. You must remove the cover, detach the dial, and extend the extra cable."

After removing the PWM speed dial pot and extending out the flat cable, there was 1/4" hole there where the pot was. I put a 1/4-20 1" long bolt (use stainless then you never have to worry about rust) lock washer and nut thru the hole (stud sicking out of course), and then reassembled the case. Then quite a bit forward in the passenger glove box I drilled a 1/4" hole, stuck the 1/4" stud thru, and put a washer and wing-nut on to secure the PWM. This places the PWM behind the dash, protected from the weather, and makes it very easy to pull it out if you need to. Just make sure that the cable will reach the location where you install the dial.. As for the speed dial I just mounted it in that flat area just above the cup holders (where that huge warning label was).

Enjoy the breeze!!!!
Henri

Last edited by ncrr; 07-31-2016 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: spelling....
Old 07-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #18
16ezgoEL6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
16ezgoEL6,

As I had mentioned in the original post, "If you are adventuresome, the dial part can be mounted elsewhere (as I have done), since there is a small cable attached. You must remove the cover, detach the dial, and extend the extra cable."

After removing the PWM speed dial pot and extending out the flat cable, there was 1/4" hole there where the pot was. I put a 1/4-20 1" long bolt (use stainless then you never have to worry about rust) lock washer and nut thru the hole (stud sicking out of course), and then reassembled the case. Then quite a bit forward in the passenger glove box I drilled a 1/4" hole, stuck the 1/4" stud thru, and put a washer and wing-nut on to secure the PWM. This places the PWM behind the dash, protected from the weather, and makes it very easy to pull it out if you need to. Just make sure that the cable will reach the location where you install the dial.. As for the speed dial I just mounted it in that flat area just above the cup holders (where that huge warning label was).

Enjoy the breeze!!!!
Henri
Thanks - I think I'm going to order the fans and controller today. I just saw your post, was thinking about taking the box apart myself as I would like the adjustable knob in the warning label section as opposed to the entire box!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #19
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: My Fan install (Revised)

Last year I installed two 12VDC fans in the roof of the cart for two reasons, when it's hot, and when the skeeters or no-seeums are out looking for dinner.

On the original install, I used 2 pieces of angle aluminum to support the fans. Over time that proved to be not enough support for them, since they were not good and flat, the fans frames became distorted, and they were rubbing while running, sometimes very noisy. It got bad enough that one of them would not run at all, that was the one over SWMBO, and as you will guess, she was not at all pleased!!

To make a nice flat surface, I used 0.5" birch plywood and cut the below plate on the CNC machine. The dimensions I used are on the drawing.

Then I put together a frame 2.25" deep that the fan platform is mounted on. The reason for the 'recessed' platform was so that there would be plenty of headroom between you and the fans. The whole assembly was spray painted flat-black, which really blends it in with the cart roof nicely. The fans were installed, wiring completed, then re-mounted on the aluminum rails (had to move one back 1.5" to accommodate the width).

It only took SWMBO a moment to suggest that I also spray the aluminum rails....

Now it runs nice and quiet, only the sound of moving air.....

Last edited by ncrr; 03-12-2017 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
BigShowDuramax
Getting Wild

Yamaha

very nice, that is an awesome idea!
BigShowDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fans, pwm
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO