lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

Default Not going forward

Hi guys, I have an ezgo 36v txt. I believe is an 02 or 03, it's been seating for almost 2 years but we have owned it for about 10.

Today I got 6 bran new batteries and replaced all 5 battery cables with new ones. Before storing the cart everything felt fine but the cart felt a bit slow after charging it and riding it for some time, I think it was also beeping but at the time I thought it was probably bad batteries and didn't even bother to check.

So today after raplacing the batteries and the cables the golf cart didn't want to do anything, sometimes i was able to hear a click in the solenoid and it was also beeping continuously with or without the key in the on position, I decided to disconnect the buzzer as it was driving me crazy.

I decided to replace the solenoid as it was cheap and look rusted on the terminals.

Now it goes in reverse, no more beeping sound except when you put it in reverse of course. One thing I did notice is that when u put it forward it feels like it wants to move (like a very small jump but it moves back instead of front, why is that?????

What could be the cause of this issue, I was thinking the rocker switch that is next to the ignition swith, this isn't the type were u have the f/r selector swith next to the right leg.

I had to replace all the terminals that hook up from the cart to the battery pos post as they were all rusted.

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

JR
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Not going forwatd

well you said your batteries are new, so I will take your word they are ok. As long as you know everything was wired correctly, as well as the solenoid you changed out. It's possible it is the f/r switch, I feel like something is not wired right. I don't want to worry you and say it's a motor issue, but just check the cables from the controller to the motor just to be sure. You said it runs ok in reverse now but not in forward so it makes me think of the switch. double check your wiring when you have the time and if you have the means you can try to test the switch too with another. Also, check out the controller behind the solenoid too and see if anything is melted

steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Steve, bought the batteries at costco yesterday. I did check the wiring I remove as I took pics of them before doing anything. When replacing the solenoid I connected the wires one by one to make sure everything was right. I'll be checking the rest of the wiring tomorrow all the way to the motor just in case I find something weird.
If i can't find any obvious reason I might probably replace the switch as it looks like it cost around $25.

I'll be double checking all the wiring I remove again just in case.

I did noticed that when is not charging the volts are almost at 40v and about 44v when charging.

Thanks for replying, really appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

Just replaced the switch with a new one I had and still the same. I'm just checking if the controller is good but I can't find the M terminal per this link http://www.golflink.com/how_5960_spe...golf-cart.html

I also did the solenoid test and I have 38.5v on one side *same voltage as the batteries) but I only have 28.7v on the other side. It looks like the resistor needs to be replace per that link.

I checked all the connections on the batteries and everything is ok, I'll be checking connectors on the motors now too.

Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What is the pack voltage at the main terminals?
What is the pack voltage in the charge receptacle as the charger sees it when plugged in ?
Does the solenoid click when you try to go, key on , in gear, pedal down?

Which drive system are you asking about? Series or PDS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo TXT drive system ID.jpg (205.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is the pack voltage in the charge receptacle as the charger sees it when plugged in ?

Which drive system are you asking about? Series or PDS
Thanks for replying, answering your questions as follow.

38.5 and battery terminals if this is what you mean by main terminals.

At the battery terminals while charging is 45v, don't se access at the plug when charging.

With the new one, yes. With the old one clicked sometimes and sometimes not plus it had a continuous beep before replacing the solenoid.

I have a pds cart.

Thanks again for any help and advice.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Thanks for replying, answering your questions as follow.

38.5 and battery terminals if this is what you mean by main terminals.

i think he means if you look in the charge port-the two spots there can be checked with a meter to see the voltage....

At the battery terminals while charging is 45v, don't se access at the plug when charging.

With the new one, yes. With the old one clicked sometimes and sometimes not plus it had a continuous beep before replacing the solenoid.

I have a pds cart.

Thanks again for any help and advice.
SEE ABOVE IN QUOTE
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha, if is the 2 studs right now I have 39.11v, same at the batteries right now.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

I've been doing some trouble shooting and can't find anything wrong. Cleaned the wires at the motor, verified continuity, replaced the f/r swith with one I had, and I just checked the micro switch under the floor mat and everything checks out.

This morning I went to a golf cart mechanic and explained everything and he believes it could be either the controller or the motor but he thinks is most likely the controller.

He offer a rebuilt controller for $245 with the same warranty as a new ones 90 days. I think a new one is like $400 as I've seen online.

Thinking of taking it to the mechanic. Everything I have read points out to be the controller, people with the similar issue we are having.

Trying to fix this for my mother and its taking more time that I thought. 2 full days trying to find the problem plus 2 more days cleaning and puttingit back in shape, wasn't that bad realy.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
wellcraft
Not Yet Wild

Tryin to do the troubleshooting on the contorller, but I don't have a 6 pin connector. It has a 10 pin connector with no black and a 4 pin connector with a dark gray wire. Wonder if the troubleshooting from the sticky is for a different controller.

Attached pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1476305899958404268657.jpg (193.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1476305934271-1640058184.jpg (207.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO