lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: I am LOSING IT!!! Help!

A solder joint is an electrical connection. A splice is a mechanical connection.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #22
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I herby declare that a splice intended to join ends of electrical conductors in a golf cart or any electrical circuit is supposed to be an electrical connection no matter how it is made.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 AM   #23
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Why can't somebody invent a connector that's easy to install and will stay together and last? I don't care what you call it. Crimp connectors alone have been pissing me off for 30 years.

BTW, on this subject, in instances that have enough space, and appearance is not an issue (i.e. underneath a car trailer etc.) I use the correct size wire nuts and tape them securely with good quality electrical tape. Never had one come loose. Wires get cut, smashed etc., but the connection stays put.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I started splicing and terminating wires a bit over 60 years ago when I was in my early teens and there have been significant improvements in the tools, materials and techniques since then, to say the least.

Over the years, I have seen a lot of failed connections, both soldered and crimped, as well as connections of both types that have lasted for decades. The failed ones of both types share common problems, improper tools, poor workmanship at installation, poor choice of materials, lack of environmental protection, or some combination thereof.

When I attended the NASA soldering school in the early 70's, merely the thought of using a crimp type connector was considered blaspheme, however in more recent years FAA has accepted crimp on terminal lug and splices for electrical repairs in aircraft (Section 11-43 of AC 43.13-1b attached), so they ought to be adequate for golf carts when installed properly.

Of course, a connection that is both crimped and soldered can capture the best of both. For critical applications, use a non-insulated type terminal or splice, crimp it using the proper tool, then solder it and cover with double walled or adhesive lined shrink tubing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAA AC-43 crimp connectors.JPG (91.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #25
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Holy S&^t - NASA!! I think that qualifies JohnnieB as the go to expert here!

I rebutted them all - cart seemed fine for a long and bumpy test drive. Coming home some bozo cut me off and I slammed on breaks to avoid collision - cart wouldn't start

Pushed it a few feet then got on - FNR was not engaged, but not sure if it wasn't when it wouldn't go...

The trials and tribulations.. of course - re butted AGAIN to be safe.

Time will tell I guess...
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I feel like we are beating a dead horse on this connection thing but I wanted to reiterate on one point I want to share with all members

Corrosion is the predominate cause of all electrical connection failures in a golf cart due to the acidic vapor release each time we re-charge.

This problem can virtually be eliminated by sealing the joint so that no air or acidic vapor can contact the joint.
I have been using the following method for many years. It has worked on my own carts & commercially for me.
To positively prevent vapor or moisture from penetrating a connection fill, coat, or cover the joint with a barrier agent like silicone or a dielectric compound. Simply fill the connector with the barrier agent insert the wire and crimp. Refill outer edge if needed and forget about it
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #27
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Experts have spoken. Gonna do what ya'll say.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #28
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I suspect the butt splice electrical connections were there because previous owner or whoever worked on it last suspected the problem you are having was caused by the four pin electrical connector and the intermittent problem you are having is something else. You need to consider suspecting the ITS module in the pedal box. There are instructions how to check the output voltage when the pedal is pressed. A DC voltmeter connected to the proper connections next time it wont go may prove it is or is not the problem. Connect the voltmeter meter across the same white and black wires you spliced together. You can find detailed information on these forums measuring this voltage. I had a similar problem with my old cart and the connector was leaky plus the ITS module was intermittent. Of course that may not be the problem. Just keep it in mind.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO