lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #41
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Advice on improving the performance on a 1996 Medalist?

Anyone know what the thin red wire coming out of the side of the Charger port on the EZGO is for? It been clipped off and it have a terminal connector still on it.

I am just guessing here, but does charging port have a safety switch or something to prevent cart in motion when charger is plugged in? I am guessing previous owner bypassed it or something.

Bill
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #42
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Yes and yes. It's a reed switch. The charger plug has a magnet in it, that disables the buggy when it's plugged in. They have a horrible failure rate, and bypassing it is common. If it runs, the previous owner bypassed it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #43
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Yes and yes. It's a reed switch. The charger plug has a magnet in it, that disables the buggy when it's plugged in. They have a horrible failure rate, and bypassing it is common. If it runs, the previous owner bypassed it.

Thank you for the explanation and confirming it and yes it does run so the previous owner did bypass it.

Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #44
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I really like the concept, but my first one died, and I bought another for around $45. I dissected the old one, and it's a glass reed switch in a plastic case, much like are used in door and window alarms. The second died a few years later, so I run the charger cord through the steering wheel, to remind me to unplug it.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #45
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

It's a normally closed switch, until a magnet pulls one contact away from the other. The glass probably broke while driving, when the switch was closed. Once I plugged in the charger, the broken glass fell between the contacts, preventing them from closing. Both times, it got me home, but refused to go after charging.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 AM   #46
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I really like the concept, but my first one died, and I bought another for around $45. I dissected the old one, and it's a glass reed switch in a plastic case, much like are used in door and window alarms. The second died a few years later, so I run the charger cord through the steering wheel, to remind me to unplug it.
Good tip on the cord through steering wheel, I might get into habit doing same thing.

But I might modifiy by cutting a slot in charger port and add a roller switch like ones I think I saw on F/R switch on he outside of charger port so when the charger plug is inserted, it will push on the roller out of way breaking contacts in switch.

Also I would add a bypass toggle under seat in case roller switch worned out at one point too

Bill
Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #47
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Good tip on the cord through steering wheel, I might get into habit doing same thing.

But I might modifiy by cutting a slot in charger port and add a roller switch like ones I think I saw on F/R switch on he outside of charger port so when the charger plug is inserted, it will push on the roller out of way breaking contacts in switch.

Also I would add a bypass toggle under seat in case roller switch worned out at one point too

Bill
I was going to do the same years ago, but I it was low of my to-do list.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO