lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
gr8gmc
Not Yet Wild

Default Did I ruin my 2 year old batteries?

I have a 2010 RXV with 4-48V Trojans installed new spring of 2015. After not having to add any water the first year and checking them often I neglected to check them often this summer and ran them low. I didn't expose the plates but water was just over them (less than a quarter inch) before I discovered the problem. To make matters worse, I ran the cart several times until voltage was down to 48.0 volts or less.

I've topped them off now. I've done a balance charge and they are really short on life. I can't play but 9 holes.

Are the ruined? What would bring them back to a more useable status?
gr8gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Did I ruin my 2 year old batteries?

The water should only be just over the plates ever.. more than that will just make a mess and won't help anything.
So the good news is that you never ran them to low on water

Maybe discharging them to much hurt them a little but not the water.

Do you have a good quality charger? Try another person's charger once or twice , to see if it helps .
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As they age, they will consume much more water than when they were new. You have to check them more often. No you probably did not ruin them!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
gr8gmc
Not Yet Wild

Ok. The life on these batteries went from being able to play 36 holes easily to barely making it 18, then finally not making it through 18.

How would I check the charger? My total voltage after a charge is 49.8 volts which leads me to believe it's doing it's job. I'll see if I can borrow another charger and get better results.
gr8gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I check mine every two weeks if they need it or not .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

According to the chart your batteries are not being fully charged.

CartsUnlimitedStateofChargeChart.png
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

what happens if the water gets below the plates? is that part ruined?
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Possibly. They have a mark inside, to indicate they are full. The easiest way to fill them is with a battery filling jug. They are cheap and will not overfill them. If you just barely cover the plates, they are a little low, meaning the acid is a little stronger than it should be. I don't know if that's causing them to not fully charge, but if you fill them after a charge, you won't "boil over" and lose acid as well as water.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are a lot of things going on here.

1. Running the batteries low on water without exposing the plates results in a higher acid concentration and shortens battery life expectancy, but not a major reduction.

2. The lower the average SoC maintained, the shorter the battery's life expectancy. Occasionally discharging to less than 50% SoC lowers the average considerably.

3. The typical battery lifespan is about 4 years, so 2 year old batteries are at mid-life.

4. The cooler the temperature, the less battery performance, and it is winter.

5. The 4 x 12V battery pack is amongst the worst design decisions EZGO ever made. At best, it has about 13% less storage capacity than the standard 36V battery pack of yesteryear.

6. Batteries that are chronically undercharged don't perform well and don't last very long.

I suspect some combination of all of the above apply.

--------
Your batteries may have some life left in them. I'd replace the existing charger with a DPI Accusense charger and charge the pack back to back several times. Then leave the DPI connected (Float charging) when not driving cart.

Also, I'd up grade to a 6 x 8V 48V pack which does have the storage capacity of the legacy 36V pack, and if higher capacity 8V batteries are used, even greater storage capacity. (See attached chart)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 x 12V versus 6 x 8V.jpg (275.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO