lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Steel or Aluminum Battery Tray?

I've started ripping my 99 TXT down to the frame to rebuild it. I have the POR15 and POR topcoat for the frame, but the battery tray is rusted through in some places. I'm going to have to buy new, since I can't fabricate.

Is there any advantage of buying an aluminum tray for $50 more than the steel? If I went with steel and applied POR 15, would that prevent it from rusting again?

If I go aluminum, should I apply something like zinc chromate and them paint it for protection? Any opinions are most welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Steel or Aluminum Battery Tray?

There is nothing wrong with the steel rack, if you keep the battery tray clean from battery acid it will last a long time. It's lasted 18 years now. And yes the POR 15 would make it last even longer
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I personally would take Rib's advice.....as when I rebuild my 2007 TXT, I needed to replace the tray, and did exactly what you are thinking about doing. Steel tray, and POR 15.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Go with steel. The tray didn't "rust out" it corroded out. If rain & weather were the culprits, the rest of the frame would be just as bad. Steel lasts longer than aluminum against acid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, guys, as always, for the well reasoned replies.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you use POR15 on new metal make sure you scuff it up good with at least some 100 grit paper. In the past I have also sandblasted pieces just to rough them up before application. POR15 is made to adhere to rusty surfaces. Since it is a moisture cured urethane, it has very little chemical adhesion. It relies on mechanical adhesion (rough surfaces). Don't ask me how I know.

One more thing, it contains no UV protection. If it is exposed to sunlight it needs to be top coated with paint. Ideally that should be done while it is still tacky. You don't want to scuff it to top coat.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, 55BB. I bought the POR topcoat, metal cleaner, and metal prep products at the same time I bought the POR.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I know we're apparently killing (sp) a dead horse, a few other things to consider, since the internet is "forever"...

I've never seen an aluminum battery frame, but are the structural members appropriately upgraded (thickness), due to aluminum's severely lower structural abilities, relative to steel? Do they have the same factor of safety - both now and after ten years of abuse - assuming the cart will either be kept or go on until the wheels fall off.

I drive a car until the wheels fall off, while most of my neighbors upgrade every three years.

It all comes down to what is cheapest in the time you plan on keeping the cart.

Fortunately, $$$ solve both problems.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
... I've never seen an aluminum battery frame, but are the structural members appropriately upgraded (thickness), due to aluminum's severely lower structural abilities, relative to steel? Do they have the same factor of safety - both now and after ten years of abuse - assuming the cart will either be kept or go on until the wheels fall off.
I decided to go with the steel, based on the answers above, and I cannot answer the questions about the aluminium one. I saw them on a site sponsor's web page.

Aluminum Battery Rack
Old 06-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Mike.Callery
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxPilot View Post
I've started ripping my 99 TXT down to the frame to rebuild it. I have the POR15 and POR topcoat for the frame, but the battery tray is rusted through in some places. I'm going to have to buy new, since I can't fabricate.

Is there any advantage of buying an aluminum tray for $50 more than the steel? If I went with steel and applied POR 15, would that prevent it from rusting again?

If I go aluminum, should I apply something like zinc chromate and them paint it for protection? Any opinions are most welcome!

I just found your post via a search on "battery tray" and was wondering what you ended up doing?

My try is rusted out so I am debating a new steel tray, cutting out the old, welding in a new, or fabricating a bolt in aluminum tray using bar stock from Home Depot. I was wondering what you ended up doing.

Thank you.
Mike.Callery is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO