lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Purchase help needed, Hilly Neighborhood, Heavy riders....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Without a disc brake upgrade, 23 tires on an RXV reduces the effectiveness of the regen braking. It also reduces torque for hill climbing. Depening upon the OPs location, he may be forced to stick with the stock tire size. I know where I live, it can not only be dangerous, but downright deadly, to reduce the effectiveness of the brakes. We have grades that can well exceed the designed operational parameters of golf carts. Engineers may know the difference when you are exceeding same limits. Many cart owners do not. Any time that family safety is involved, please use good judgement. I like the RXVs, but when it comes to family safety, you cannot beat 4 wheel disc brakes of the 2Five. That was why I did not recommend an RXV. Of course, you can put the 2Five hydraulic brakes on an RXV, but that is beyond the ability of most shadetree mechanics. New 2Five rear axle tubes with the caliper mounts, new 2Five front spindles with the caliper mounts, 4 new 2Five hubs, and all of the rest of the brake parts. It would be very expensive just to buy the parts. More cost to buy an RXV and the parts than you could pick up a used 2Five for.

Bob
You are right, i've experienced the 23' tire without disk brake on my rxv, and i was like if the regen brake of the motor go wrong for any reason i'm done that's why i decided to add the hydraulic brake. Like you said you can't compromise safety, for the the look of the cart. but if you keep stock size tire with the front disk brake, there's no problem at all. sure not as good as 4 disk brake, but still enough brake power
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

We service several golf cart friendly communities in our area.
the area is quite hilly.

We sell RXV's almost exclusively.
We have upgraded TXT and Club cars with aftermarket controllers and motors.

STOCK RXV's generally outperform the upgrades when all factors are taken into account.

With close to stock tires (that fit under cart w/o lift kit ) torque is excellent for hills,
speed is good- 20mph (legal limit here) and braking is safe.

All in all , RXV STOCK should handle most camp ground areas and all street/road areas.

Extra torque is avail with a (expensive but good) factory controller upgrade.
This upgrade upgrades both torque and brake power.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Have you ever gone to a Ford dealer and tried to talk about other makes of cars? When a dealer sells one make or Model car or cart they swear their car (cart) is the best. - I'm just saying there are a lot of carts out there. The golf cart capital aka The Villages in FL has more Precedents than any other cart. Yet some dealers people swear the RXV is the best - ever. It's all good information but -
There are a lot of choices out there. Often the best choice is whatever is most popular in your area & what are the service shops there are most familiar with.
Buying a brand your service tech hates will help.

Good luck in your search
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #14
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i havent heard a 48v PDS mentioned-but seems like it might be a strong possibility with the regen braking and such....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all for the information and keep it coming. I am not set on EzGo it just seems that all the shops nearby sell them and have parts.

I am headed to look at a 2five, a 2015 @ $7500 asking price. I really like the idea of the factory street legal cart but the option of the RXV with some sort of brake upgrade is appealing since they are much easier to find and cost half of what the 2five goes for.

Ill let yall know what i see!
omextreme2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
i havent heard a 48v PDS mentioned-but seems like it might be a strong possibility with the regen braking and such....
The TXT48 is the new 48v PDS
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #17
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by omextreme2381 View Post
Thanks to all for the information and keep it coming. I am not set on EzGo it just seems that all the shops nearby sell them and have parts.

I am headed to look at a 2five, a 2015 @ $7500 asking price. I really like the idea of the factory street legal cart but the option of the RXV with some sort of brake upgrade is appealing since they are much easier to find and cost half of what the 2five goes for.

Ill let yall know what i see!
I had bought an in-warranty dead 2015 2Five last year. Due to a contractual obligation, I had to own it before I could fix it. I sold it back to them after it was fixed. I put several miles on it while the temp tag was still valid and it was really nice to drive. It was a great NEV, just not what I'm really wanting.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
omextreme2381
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so i visited the shop and scoped out a few carts,
they had a 2000 GEM 4 seat with new gel batteries @ $5000 - Didnt seem worth the money.
They seem to "push" their refurbished RXV units. They have 2014 or 15.. cant remember now units.

They appear the repaint them, new seat covers, crown batteries and rims/wheels and windscreen / roof for $5500 - $6000 with a 1 yr warranty..

Not sure about price but seems in line with the rest of the sellers here locally for a fresh refurb.

The interesting part was the programming options, they state with the RXV they can change the settings to more powerful / earlier deploying regen brake as well as reduce the top speed settings.

Is this something the end user can control? or a factory software kind of thing?

Thanks!
omextreme2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Curtis handheld programmer will do all you described & more. It's a very pricey piece for the end user to purchase, and it's multitude of options just confuse most end users. It's a factory diagnostic tool for vehicles with Curtis controllers (like 2012.5 & newer rxv).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I agree with cgtech. The RXV is nice, but may not be road legal in many areas. The 2012.5 RXV/2013 2Five and newer have a more configurable controller, but all have good torque and regen braking. I bought the handset and I have a programming station. With an OEM handset, there is so much that can be customized in the RXV and 2Five parameters to enhance performance of the going and stopping

Their price is a bit on the high side, you don't need bigger wheels, ect. You can find a 2014 or 2015 RXV fresh off of lease for under $3000, if you shop around. Where are you located?

My Curtis controller upgraded 2008 RXV Shuttle 2+2 is set to stock settings, but I used to have my 2012 RXV programmed to top out at 25 MPH with stock tires. It was faster, I reduced its top end. You don't need to spend a lot of money on performance parts to enhance an RXV/2Five. You can program it from mild to wild. For safety sake, I recommend mild. My 2012 met a tree that it could not pass through. My 2008 was bought for $500 as a parts cart and I built it up with what was salvagable from my 2012.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO