lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
seanb97072
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage reducer to charge a battery?

Thinking of installing a 12v battery to power my sun and speakers. Would it work if I used my 48v to 12v converter I'm running for my headlights to charge it ?
seanb97072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer to charge a battery?

Never thought about it. Not going to ask you why you want to do it. Seems to me if you hooked it up that way and your 12v accessory battery went dead the radio would still work. The bigger question is can you connect a 12v reducer to a 12v battery and have a simple parallel 12v circuit? Would the battery draw current from the reducer and "recharge." Would current from the battery screw up the reducer? Would the reducer then become a step up transformer and throw 36 or 48v back to the pack and drain the 12v?

Please don't try it until one of the electronics wizards in here can answer for you. I would like to hear what they say.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
seanb97072
Not Yet Wild

The reducer is on all the time so I assume it would don't back feed. I want to do this to have more draw for my stereo and to not run down my battery as fast, almost use it as a capacitor
seanb97072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I must defer to the wizards on this one. Hopefully they will chime in shortly.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
wildbil645
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

the 48v to 12v inverter would keep the battery charged but i would not hook it up like that it could cause your inverter to send power to the battery and run your pack low and/or if the battery gets low on charge it could overload inverter.
wildbil645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Never thought about it. Not going to ask you why you want to do it. Seems to me if you hooked it up that way and your 12v accessory battery went dead the radio would still work. The bigger question is can you connect a 12v reducer to a 12v battery and have a simple parallel 12v circuit? Would the battery draw current from the reducer and "recharge." Would current from the battery screw up the reducer? Would the reducer then become a step up transformer and throw 36 or 48v back to the pack and drain the 12v?

Please don't try it until one of the electronics wizards in here can answer for you. I would like to hear what they say.
If your 12V battery were to get low, it can draw more current trying to recharge than the reducer is rated for. That could burn out the reducer. On top of that, reducers are not designed for battery charging. There is no way to adjust the reducer output voltage to a setting that would completely float charge a 12V battery, so that battery may not fully charge.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Don't know where you got your dc/DC convertor from. Surepower says not to do it with theirs, so I promptly tried it. Seemed to work OK. The convertor put out more than exactly 12.0v, it was closer to 13 if I recall. Not a perfect situation, but the wheelchair ramp had to be operable with the cart off. And I wasn't totally sure the converter alone was ready for the job.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

HHMMMM.....I'm still processing all this. IDK. Seems to me, the converter (not inverter) would not know the direction the current is flowing if it has 48v on one side and another 12v supply on the other. Is the converter designed for this? I think not. Also, would the 12 or 13 volt output of the reducer actually "charge" the 12v battery?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
HHMMMM.....I'm still processing all this. IDK. Seems to me, the converter (not inverter) would not know the direction the current is flowing if it has 48v on one side and another 12v supply on the other. Is the converter designed for this? I think not. Also, would the 12 or 13 volt output of the reducer actually "charge" the 12v battery?
To fully charge a 12V battery, you need about 16.2V and for float charging after it has been fully charged you need roughly 13.5V.

If the output of the converter is 12.0V, a fully charged 12V battery (about 12.75V at 100% SoC) would discharge to 12.0V, <50% SOC, when the 12V accessories were turned on, so it will age quickly.

If you want more runtime for your audio system than you can get from a stand-alone 12V battery, use two 6V high Amp-Hour batteries in series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan reccomended on-charge voltages.jpg (125.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan battery SoC chart.jpg (162.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO