lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #1
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008.5 Club Car Precedent Parking Brakes

Good evening fellas,

Been working on fixing our carts up for the warmer weather, we have (6) 2008.5 Club Car Precedents (5 are PQ084898xxxx and 1 is PQ084698xxxx). We're almost done with the bodies, wheels, back seats and electrical, but most of our carts seem to have problems with the parking brakes, where it takes multiple times to get them to stick (if at all). I've read over a dozen threads, and many google searches with no clear leads. The brakes themselves feel fine, we've even tried adjusting the cable in hopes that would affect the parking brake, but no luck.

A majority of the carts have the style parking brake in the pic. I am not entirely sure how it is supposed to function, are there any illustrations or videos by chance? In the pic, the piece on the left under the red arrow is an interesting variable in our tests. When it is pushed inward more (rotated clockwise about 30 degrees from the position in the picture), the parking brake will hold. But when it's in the position as pictured, the parking brake will not hold.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting/fixing? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake.jpg (147.6 KB, 0 views)
FastEddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2008.5 Club Car Precedent Parking Brakes

I would start with PB blaster, don't be afraid to use it.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have read the go pedal linkage wears out and prevents the parking brake from working properly. Check for slop in the go pedal linkage.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
I would start with PB blaster, don't be afraid to use it.
Thanks for the reply. I think this is beyond the magic that is getting things unseized/loosened with PB blaster. The brake moves, so does the parking brake, it just doesn't "lock" when the parking brake is applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Weezy View Post
I have read the go pedal linkage wears out and prevents the parking brake from working properly. Check for slop in the go pedal linkage.k
Thanks for the reply. It's a 2008.5 precedent, the accelerator pedal is electric, no adjustments can be made from what I can see.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The solution for a Gen 1 pedal assy is to heat the stud that the park brake mechanism rests against and bend it upward to allow for a more secure engagement. If this doesn't work you'll have to replace the pedal assy. I feel as if this post is a bit misleading as a 2008.5 "Should" have a Gen 2 pedal assembly. The pedal assembly in the photo posted above is a Gen 1 assembly.

To fix a Gen 2 pedal assembly, in case anybody needs to know, would be to replace the following part..... OEM# 103777601, Park Brake Release Mechanism, Prec, Gen2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160824_110632.jpg (102.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160824_110640.jpg (89.9 KB, 0 views)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The solution for a Gen 1 pedal assy is to heat the stud that the park brake mechanism rests against and bend it upward to allow for a more secure engagement. If this doesn't work you'll have to replace the pedal assy. I feel as if this post is a bit misleading as a 2008.5 "Should" have a Gen 2 pedal assembly. The pedal assembly in the photo posted above is a Gen 1 assembly.

To fix a Gen 2 pedal assembly, in case anybody needs to know, would be to replace the following part..... OEM# 103777601, Park Brake Release Mechanism, Prec, Gen2
Thanks for the info/guidance as usual. Not sure why it's a Gen 1 pedal assembly, I can tell you some of the other carts have a diff assembly with a larger (simpler?) parking brake assembly, and the gen 2 piece you linked to looks the same.

Back to the problem with the gen 1 assembly, when you say replace the pedal assembly, do you mean the entire thing (brake, parking brake, go, etc?) or just the pawl assembly? (1033205-01 1025592-01 1025874-01)?

Side note, 3 of the 4 carts that are having issues have been lifted with madjax a-arm lifts. We tried to "tighten" the brake cable to remove all slack to see if that helped, but noticed on one of the non-lifted carts that's working with the same gen 1 assembly, the brake line adjustment line seems to have a good deal of slack, so we're going to try and "loosen" the adjustment area to see if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, he means replace the whole pedal group.
It's not hard to do and the gen 2 pedal group is a better set up.

I've seen plenty of pre 2008 Precedents with upgraded gen 2 pedal groups, I have to say yours is the first I've seen that has gone back to a gen 1 group.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieG View Post
Thanks for the info/guidance as usual. Not sure why it's a Gen 1 pedal assembly, I can tell you some of the other carts have a diff assembly with a larger (simpler?) parking brake assembly, and the gen 2 piece you linked to looks the same.

Back to the problem with the gen 1 assembly, when you say replace the pedal assembly, do you mean the entire thing (brake, parking brake, go, etc?) or just the pawl assembly? (1033205-01 1025592-01 1025874-01)?

Side note, 3 of the 4 carts that are having issues have been lifted with madjax a-arm lifts. We tried to "tighten" the brake cable to remove all slack to see if that helped, but noticed on one of the non-lifted carts that's working with the same gen 1 assembly, the brake line adjustment line seems to have a good deal of slack, so we're going to try and "loosen" the adjustment area to see if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance.
Replace the whole thing. The three part numbers you just listed are no longer valid CC part numbers. Even if they were, it wouldn't fix your issue. The worn out piece is a little aluminum "stud" for lack of better description where the locking mechanism rests while the brake is locked. It gets a groove worn in it and will no longer lock after it gets bad enough. Like I mentioned above, I've heated them with a torch and bent them slightly upward with a pair of channel locks and fixed them to like new working order. The worn out piece is a part of the actual frame of the pedal assembly. It's not a replaceable item, even if the parts were available.

Check your email Eddie..
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #9
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Just closing the loop on this for anyone that may find this post in the future. As TahoeDawg suggested, the failing parking brake piece is not (easily) replaceable on the "Gen 1" pedal assembly, so we opted to replace the whole pedal assembly to a rebuilt "Gen 2" version purchased from TahoeDawg with his always amazing assistance, knowledge and service. The Gen 2 parking brake mechanism seems much better and TahoeDawg pointed out the corresponding part on the Gen 2 version, which is replaceable should it wear/fail in the future.

So in summary, if you have a Gen 1 pedal assembly with old style parking brake, consider upgrading to the Gen 2 pedal assembly which is better constructed and serviceable.

Thanks for everyone that chimed in.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car