lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Throttle signal issue?

I've got a 2001 txt 36v Series cart. Over the winter I rebuilt the entire cart and upgraded to the alltrax 48500, 2g cables, heavy duty solenoid, super duty contactor, and digital volt meter. The pack needs to be replaced, and I'm going to 48v, but am getting a bit stalled out on the new pack looking into lithium. The cart only gets used a few times a week right now for a 2 mile trip, so the pack being weak hasn't been a huge issue yet.

A couple of weeks ago my son took the cart for a trip that was about 4 miles in total. He mentioned that on his way there the cart slowed way down at one point but started acting normally again after lifting his foot off of the accelerator and then reapplying. He said he never smelled anything and the cart drove well the rest of the trip. I gave him a rundown on looking for hot, loose, cables, etc, but didn't see anything amiss when I checked it myself.

I drove the cart a few times since then without any issue. The other day he and I were coming back from a short trip and going up a decently steep hill. The cart started to slow more than normal and at first I thought it was just the batteries dropping. However, I looked at the dvm and the voltage was reading higher than it normally is when pushing up that hill. I got off and back on the accelerator and the cart responded as normal. Just to be sure, I pulled over and lifted the seat, but nothing was loose or hot. I know that I've read that ITS failure is rare, but this cart does have a lot of miles on it and I didn't replace the ITS during the rebuild.

I can pull the mat and get to the throttle box, but don't know how to test it, and wanted to know if there's something else I should be looking at as well.

Thanks
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
N20trigger
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Throttle signal issue?

I have the same controller with a similar setup. My cart was cutting out at different speeds so I rode it without the seat on and was able to read the alarm on the controller. Mine ended up being a throttle cable end that was loose and
It gave me a low throttle alarm. I would see if the controller is giving you any alarms, if not I would load test each battery separately. Hope this helps
N20trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That does help, thanks. I thought I'd try driving it with a laptop connected but haven't had anyone around to either drive, or watch the screen. I do have a couple of batteries that are lower but because the voltage on my Scotty b meter on the dash aren't dropping when it happens, made me think it was more of a signal issue. That, and the fact that if you let off the accelerator, then reapply, it goes like normal.

Is monitoring a connected laptop the easiest way to verify the ITS is the issue?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You can datalog, and review the results later.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yurtle, I'd forgotten you can do that. I'll look into how to do it and see what it says. I won't have a chance to do it for a week, or so, but I'll report back when I do. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is a known issue for some SPM controllers that are susceptible to noise on the frame and Altrax has a filter kit that they will send you so get in touch with whoever you bought your controllers from and they should be able to fix you up. I also found simply moving the throttle cable to different locations can make this better or worst.

Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Pulling a new twisted shielded cable from the ITS all the way to the controller may also be an option, but unless the filter's outrageous, a lot of work.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The "Filter Kit" is nothing more than a capacitor that goes from the B- terminal on the controller to a controller mounting bolt (frame) and is free, I told EVDrives what mine was doing and he sent it right out. And figuring if it was a noise issue and I hadn't always had the problem I just tried moving the throttle cable around and found a spot where there was no problem and once the filter got here I installed that as well.
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I know that when I bought my SPM-48500 from scotty 4 years ago it came with the filter kit....and I have never had an issue. you can see the filter in the upper left hand corner.

#2 SOLENOID.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure if I gave some bad info but I've got the sr 48500. Does the filter apply to that unit too?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO