lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Creaky rear end - TXT

rear end creaks when I'm rolling - it's not the suspension but maybe the motors making noise? Anyone else have that - is it anything to worry about / work on replacing?
birddog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Creaky rear end - medalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog5 View Post
rear end creaks when I'm rolling - it's not the suspension but maybe the motors making noise? Anyone else have that - is it anything to worry about / work on replacing?
Dunno for sure, but my 1998 rear-end creaks when coasting during turns. I replaced all bearings and oil, but it still sounds "old", which it is.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

What cart are we talking about? What's a medallion. Funny noises while turning often are wheel bearings on their way out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry - its my electric TXT that creaks - wondering if its something I need to look at closer or just normal electric noise?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Your TXT is barely a teenager. A little young to be having rear end issues already. Might want to try checking your rear axle hub nuts to make sure they are really tight. Be sure to remove the cotter pins first! Loose hub nuts can creak, and if left loose can result in stripped hubs and possibly even the splines on the axle shafts themselves. If the nuts are tight, try a little Preparation O, as in an overhaul of the rear axle bearings.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I got rid of most of the creaking sound coming from the rear of cart while moving, by tightening the roof brackets and seat-back mounts. Got rid of some more by adding adhesive backed foam weather stripping between roof and brackets.

Still hear a little creaking and squeaking every now and then, but suspect replacing the leaf spring bushings will eliminate them.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Did the leaf spring bushings last year - that helped a ton - this is more of a 'while moving' noise rather than something rubbing or rattling. I'll check those axle hub nuts - how tight is 'tight' - and do I have to lock the tires somehow to tighten ?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog5 View Post
Did the leaf spring bushings last year - that helped a ton - this is more of a 'while moving' noise rather than something rubbing or rattling. I'll check those axle hub nuts - how tight is 'tight' - and do I have to lock the tires somehow to tighten ?
Rear axle castle nut:
Minimum Torque = 70 ft/lb.
Maximum Torque = 140 ft/lb.
Tighten to align cotter pin hole with closest slot in castle nut.

Front axle castle nut:
While rotating wheel by hand, tighten castle nut until slight resistance is felt.
Loosen to align cotter pin hole with closest slot in castle nut.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Creaky rear end - TXT

Using a 1/2" drive socket wrench......then sliding over that an extension from a two piece floor jack (you know...one of those small floor jacks you pick up to jack up your cart) I tighten the castle nut.....then rest....then tighten it more. Then tighten it to align the cotter carter? catter? pin. Then drive. The squeak was then gone. That was three years ago.....however I'm still waiting for either the axle's to fly out.....or the housing to crack.....of course, I'll be 2 miles back in the woods when either of these events happen.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
nosaj2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I got rid of most of the creaking sound coming from the rear of cart while moving, by tightening the roof brackets and seat-back mounts. Got rid of some more by adding adhesive backed foam weather stripping between roof and brackets.

Still hear a little creaking and squeaking every now and then, but suspect replacing the leaf spring bushings will eliminate them.
That's a great idea!
nosaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO