lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Default Forward/reverse switch 2002 TXT

Hey guys, I replaced the F/R switch, not the handle, on my 02 TXT and its stiff as hell. Takes two hands to move back and forth.

Any way to loosen it up? Thanks in advance.
6point1SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Forward/reverse switch 2002 TXT

2 hands? contact the dealer. Tension adjustments of the friction contacts should only be done by the person who is going to warranty the switch. It's too easy to cause failure by reducing tension.

You can remove the shift linkage and shift the F&R by using a 9/16ths wrench on the center pivot shaft. This will tell if the switch is really very hard to shift or the the linkage is causing some trouble.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Its the switch. Its tough.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It should never be 2 hands tough. You can loosen the tension by backing off the 9/16ths center pivot shaft nut on the rearward side of the switch - HOWEVER this will reduce the tension on the rotating contacts and if this tension is not enough to maintain solid contact the switch will self destruct. Go a little at a time. Got it?
I hope this ain't my switch - if it is I already lubed it & bench tested it and 1/4 to 1/2 turn is all you make without risking failure.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I agree with ScottyB, and if it wasn't his switch, it was shipped with zero lube at all. That's how all the BU/nivel switches are shipped. If you want to see just how bad the BU Chinese junk is, just take it apart, set the round "cam" part on a flat surface with the contacts pointing down and see how far from flat it is (it's insane). I can't believe how bad they are. When I use them, I have to "rebuild" the new switch before I can even install it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

We bought it off Amazon...its for my dads cart. I tried to loosen the center shaft, but, like you said, I didn't want to reduce contacts and create heat...
Old 07-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
6point1SRT
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It should never be 2 hands tough. You can loosen the tension by backing off the 9/16ths center pivot shaft nut on the rearward side of the switch - HOWEVER this will reduce the tension on the rotating contacts and if this tension is not enough to maintain solid contact the switch will self destruct. Go a little at a time. Got it?
I hope this ain't my switch - if it is I already lubed it & bench tested it and 1/4 to 1/2 turn is all you make without risking failure.
Scotty, I saw The conversion kit to a switch instead of this manual lever type F/R. Is that kit compatible with my cart (2002 TXT Series 36V). That seems to be the way to go. If it's compatible, I'll return this switch and order your kit...
Old 07-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
oleblueaufan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ordering the new toggle F/R switch is the way to go. I just finished that install and it is fairly simple.
oleblueaufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Reversing contactor kit is compatible with any Ezgo or Club Car Series cart. It comes in 2 duties. Heavy duty 200a switch for stock or up to 400a controllers and Super Duty 400a for 500a and up controllers.
It's the best mod I made on my series cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO