lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Aftermarket turn signal installation

I recently installed one of those generic 7 wire turn signal switches. Many places sell them but they are more or less the same. The big issue seems to be the flasher. Some won't work and some will work but the indicator lights won't.
After trying about 5 flashers and a lot of research I found these require an old fashioned thermal flasher. If you are a baby boomer you remember them and they looked like a little tin can. Most flashers now are electronic flashers and they don't work with the 1950s technology of this unit. I found a #550 thermal flasher worked but only with a little modification. I have LED bulbs and I had to add load resistors to make it work. I think it depends on the LEDs whether this is needed.
20170703_160657_1499143475888_resized.jpg
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Aftermarket turn signal installation

What's the question? Or solution? Adding resistors?

Yes, I know what a thermal flasher is and how it works, and what a resistor is (see below). If this is supposed to be a fix for a future installers problem, it was not described well enough to help anyone fix anything. BTW, adding resistors to make a thermal flasher work with LEDs totally makes them garbage as a "power saver" as is advertised as a benefit of switching to LED.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegarex View Post
...Some won't work and some will work but the indicator lights won't.
Yes and no...

What I mean is you have several flashers you can easily dissociate by the number of connections for instance (3 or 4) and even the way you connect them, some require a minus and others not. Some have a connection to a "dash light", some not but you can always play with a couple of diodes, etc...

They will alway work, but you have to connect them accordingly to how they are and what you wish.

Usually, European cars have separate turn lights while american (at least in the past) have turn lights combine with position lights. On my golf cart, I wanted a mix (I am always easy ), meaning in front and side, US way and a separate turn signal light at the back. At the same time, I wanted a turn signal "dash" light signal separated "port" and "starboard"... On another hand, not having the specs of the turn signal command (which is the Yamaha), I also wanted not to have load on it but use relays...

Everything is possible but must be wired accordingly.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #4
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

cgtech.
Didn't mean to insult you or anyone else. I just know many people have installed this type of turn signal and not been able to get it to work correctly with electronic flashers.
As far as the LED thing... I already had LED taillights and front turn signals so I had no choice.
I assumed when I said load resistor anyone using LED lights would know I was referring to the common ones sold at auto parts stores just for this purpose. I never paid attention to the impedance or watts. I just paid the counter man.
I just wanted to pass on what I found out. Not cause a problem. Many people have helped me on here and just wanted to return the favor.
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

No offence taken, or meant. But you didnt say "go grab the LED fixer resistors at the auto parts store", and no resistor values were given, nor where to put these resistors. I figured folks would be asking "what resistors", "what size" (without mention of ohm "size" or watt "size"). I figure without clarification, this thread would sprial downward with no specific info, and many, many different led bulbs available (which it may still, just give it time).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #6
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
No offence taken, or meant. But you didnt say "go grab the LED fixer resistors at the parts store", and no resistor values were given, nor where to put these resistors. I figured folks would be asking "what resistors", "what size" (without mention of ohm "size" or watt "size"). I figure without clarification, this thread would sprial downward with no specific info, and many, many different led bulbs available (which it may still, just give it time).
Just curious, but I have never seen car LED "complete lights" (like the one attached like that rear. the side or front) we install on our carts needing any resistor... Even LED bulbs I changed from classic to LED on my MB. Resistor is always included int the design isn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (46.9 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO