lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Default Upgrade to 48v, 6-8v batteries or 8-6v?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cart from 36v-48v. It's a 2001 Ezgo txt. I'll be ordering a new controller, FR switch and solenoid from Scotty B this week. I use the cart for riding around the campground and for hunting, we lease 350 acres. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with 6 batteries or 8. If I go with 8-6v I know run time will be longer but will it be drastically longer? Also if I go with 8 batteries then 2 will go in the bagwell and I'm thinking it's gonna be a pain in the butt checking and topping them off with the back seat being there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade to 48v, 6-8v batteries or 8-6v?

I did 8 - 6 volts, but when it's time to change, I'll give lithium a serious look, but if lithium weren't an option, I'd definitely use 6 - 8 volts. The only thing I could imagine being a problem would be if I needed to charge the batteries individually, I only have a combination 6 and 12 volt charger. With my DPI charger and an onboard volt meter, that's not a concern for me.

Most people here now concur that 6 - 8 volts is the best way to go, and much simpler. You probably need to change the interconnecting cables, unless they're already long enough.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

jonnieB will give the most concise answer....it depends on amp hr ratings you choose to replace your old pack with-the higher the amp hr the higher the cost...
8/6v batts might give you more overall capacity-but will add a bit over 100lbs to the cart compared to 6/8v`s....
and it will be a pain to service in the bagwell with a seat...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Give lithium a serious look especially with the size of your hunting lease.

When it's time for me to start looking for batteries again, I will be going lithium.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If I had to buy new batteries today, I'd have to compare total cost vs. life expectancy. I have no problems with FLA maintenance. I expect prices on lithium to continue to fall. I could sell my 48 volt DPI to offset some of the cost.

However, if you have a hunting buggy, there may be other advantages. Cold weather use may be a factor favoring lithium, but I haven't paid much attention, as I'm a few years away from having to make that decision.

Do lithium batteries allow regen?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If I had to buy new batteries today, I'd have to compare total cost vs. life expectancy. I have no problems with FLA maintenance. I expect prices on lithium to continue to fall. I could sell my 48 volt DPI to offset some of the cost.

However, if you have a hunting buggy, there may be other advantages. Cold weather use may be a factor favoring lithium, but I haven't paid much attention, as I'm a few years away from having to make that decision.

they use regen in most hybrids so i would think they would do fine but i am tecknowlogically challenged-lol

i would like to go lithium some day
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:

My pack of Leaf cells from EVBC can take 100A of regen braking current. I can have up to 120A of Armature Amps of regen available but only sending up to 85A back to the battery for safety.

The only issue is taking a long downhill run after a full pack charge. might put you slightly over voltage. I am still gathering some test data to see if I can figure out how many amps are generated under these conditions. It may not be a problem at all.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm clueless about regen. Do FLA batteries/controller shunt all of the excess energy to a resistor, once the batteries are fully charged? Does the lithium do the same? Is the controller adjustable to account for fully charged batteries, or just how much regen goes to the batteries, regardless of whether they need them or not?

Sorry for the semi-highjack, but these questions may help you decide whether lithium is for you.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

More:
My questions on regen would NOT affect me. It would only be a consideration if you hit a long downhill run, shortly after leaving with a full charge. I start and end my trips at my house. If it's trailered to and from a hunting lease, that would be different than my normal use.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I'm clueless about regen. Do FLA batteries/controller shunt all of the excess energy to a resistor, once the batteries are fully charged? Does the lithium do the same? Is the controller adjustable to account for fully charged batteries, or just how much regen goes to the batteries, regardless of whether they need them or not?

Sorry for the semi-highjack, but these questions may help you decide whether lithium is for you.
Well, I have to believe the one or two manufacturers offering Lithium have the ability to prevent over voltage to the battery within their newest controllers. Not hard to do but the Alltrax does not. At least not at this time. Besides, it is a short term problem unless the cart barn is at the top of a mountain and the first tee is a couple miles below it.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO