lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Walrus127
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default PDS will not last

I have a 2003 Ezgo PDS. I replaced the controller with a used Curtis stock controller May 2016 (old one quit). I also replaced the solenoid at that time. I just replaced the batteries in the last couple of months along with 4 ga wires. Now in the last couple weeks the cart does not hold out like it should. Last night it almost died after 9 holes of golf. We have a couple holes with steep hills and the cart hardly made it up the hills, but on flat ground runs fine. It used to last for 27 to 36 holes with no problem. when I got home last night I checked the pack voltage and it was 36 volts. a few days ago the wife and I were out riding looking at deer on the golf course, we were going slow and the cart just stopped. I sit there for a couple minuets and it started back. I'm thinking the controller is overheating and the thermal switch is kicking out. I have a stock motor with freedom chip and the cart will run around 18 mph on flat ground with no problems, which makes me think the motor is fine. My question do you think the controller is most likely the problem.
Walrus127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS will not last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus127 View Post
I have a 2003 Ezgo PDS. I replaced the controller with a used Curtis stock controller May 2016 (old one quit). I also replaced the solenoid at that time. I just replaced the batteries in the last couple of months along with 4 ga wires. Now in the last couple weeks the cart does not hold out like it should. Last night it almost died after 9 holes of golf. We have a couple holes with steep hills and the cart hardly made it up the hills, but on flat ground runs fine. It used to last for 27 to 36 holes with no problem. when I got home last night I checked the pack voltage and it was 36 volts. a few days ago the wife and I were out riding looking at deer on the golf course, we were going slow and the cart just stopped. I sit there for a couple minuets and it started back. I'm thinking the controller is overheating and the thermal switch is kicking out. I have a stock motor with freedom chip and the cart will run around 18 mph on flat ground with no problems, which makes me think the motor is fine. My question do you think the controller is most likely the problem.
Walrus,

I'd like to know if in-fact the controller is getting very hot. You can normally feel the heat sink, and if it is Hot you can imagine that the controller would be very hot. The motor at that point may also be very hot.

I think the best test would be to go out and drive it, and then check where heat is. Feel every battery cable, battery, controller heat sink, and motor.

It could be something as simple as the brakes dragging causing the controller to overheat.

Also, if the pack reads at 36v even (36.00) then that means that the total pack voltage is under 50% charge. Its not wise to let the pack get under 50% before re-charging and this could lead to needing batteries much sooner. The reason the batteries are low, could however be directly related with over-heating, causing more amps to be drawn etc.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

sounds like a bad battery...check all of the INDIVIDUAL battery readings under load-also give a total pack voltage at rest and under load...
what batteries are you running?
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Walrus127
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Last night after golf I stopped for supper before I went home. I did feel of the heat sink when I checked the pack voltage. it was warm. I will check the pack voltage after charging and agian after running when I get back from vacation. Also I will test each battery and will check the wires and heat sink. Thanks for suggestions.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you can mount a small fan to circulate air on the fins it will help prevent thermal shutdown. I mounted a 3 1/8 inch 12 volt fan between the top of the heat sink and the rear fender well. Used RTV to secure it and powered it with small 36/12 volt voltage converter on a separate switch.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll be interested to hear the report on the batteries, especially under load.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
hunt365
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
If you can mount a small fan to circulate air on the fins it will help prevent thermal shutdown. I mounted a 3 1/8 inch 12 volt fan between the top of the heat sink and the rear fender well. Used RTV to secure it and powered it with small 36/12 volt voltage converter on a separate switch.
I mounted one of those 12 volt fans, like you use to see on the dash of old trucks, in front of the original controller and let the air blow around it. Worked pretty good. I decided to leave it when I upgraded to an altrax, even though it had its own fan. Mine is wired to a switch and an auxiliary battery.
hunt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus127 View Post
Replacing batteries and upgrading to bigger wires is making more power available to the controller and the motor. This may be the reason you began experiencing the problem with controller thermal shut down. You have more current available now and more heat is generated. As long as you have a stock controller you are going to have that problem and it too will eventually fail unless you provide some additional air circulation to the controller heat sink fins.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:03 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Never done this to a txt fin cooler, but I have added 12v computer fan to RXV (danaher) fins with good results.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Walrus127
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I returned from vacation and did some testing and found that Mutant was correct. I had a bad battery. Replaced that yesterday and when the rain stops today I will get back out and give it a test run. I'm going to look for a fan to cool the controller like suggested. I think the only time I really need this is when the wife and I are out looking at wild life and going slow. I have not had any trouble when playing golf. Thanks for all the comments and help this is a great resource.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO