lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 ezgo 36v no solenoid click

I don't know much about a series cart. However, I don't think that the small red wire would be any different from a Series to a PDS cart as it is part of the Safety system.

The small red wire on the charging receptacle is connected to the Reed switch. According to the wiring diagram looks like it goes to the direction selector on your cart.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This should be the wiring diagram for your cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Series Wiring.jpg (152.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
Jkirby891
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKSoft84 View Post
I don't know much about a series cart. However, I don't think that the small red wire would be any different from a Series to a PDS cart as it is part of the Safety system.

The small red wire on the charging receptacle is the Reed switch. It should be running to your controller, when you unplug the charger, if the reed switch is still there a magnet in it causes the circuit to be completed, 36V is applied to the red wire and that 36v goes into the controller and tells the controller that the cart can be driven.

Reed switch has been bypassed on this cart. The red wire normally connected to one side of the reed switch runs over and supplies pack voltage thru the forward micro switch and out to the ignition. Problem is now that I have voltage there anytime ignition turns on wires mentioned below over heat.

The small red wires on solenoid small post as well as the two wires (red and green) running to my pedal micro switch are getting over heated and melting the colored casing on each wire.

Could this be a bad controller?
Jkirby891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure. Have a look at this thread, and see if something similar may be going on with your cart:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-solenoid.html

In that thread one of the wires on the small posts had actually melted through some and was making contact with other things which caused them to smoke and the cart died.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
Jkirby891
Getting Wild

Quote:
I'm not sure. Have a look at this thread, and see if something similar may be going on with your cart:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-solenoid.html

In that thread one of the wires on the small posts had actually melted through some and was making contact with other things which caused them to smoke and the cart died.
Perfect I'll check it out. That's what seemed to happen with reed switch wire then I replaced and now its occurring in solenoid circuit.

I'm afraid after I replace all new wires being melted it may occur again making my work for not. I'm hoping I can clearly find what caused wire to overheat initially.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #16
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Something is grounding out your system, that would be the only reason for wires to melt. Just have to find out where/what wire has been rubbed bare.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #17
Jkirby891
Getting Wild

Quote:
Something is grounding out your system, that would be the only reason for wires to melt. Just have to find out where/what wire has been rubbed bare.

I gave it a rest for the day and got some work done on other carts. I am goint to rewire and trace each wire in the system tomorrow to see if I can find the culprit.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #18
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the diode on the solenoid small post could be on backwards. Didn't you say the solenoid was just replaced? A backwards diode will cause a dead short in the activation circuit, and usually blows the pedal micro switch, but if someone someone has bypassed it could cause it to melt wires like you described. You can remove the diode to test. The white stripe should go to the positive terminal I think.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The solenoid activation power starts at the reed switch goes to the forward micro switch then to the pedal switch then to the key switch then to the positive terminal on the solenoid. The solenoid is not polarity sensitive, however with the diode on it makes it polarity sensitive. Stripe to positive.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #20
Jkirby891
Getting Wild

Yes stripe is on positive terminal. I believe some wires were damaged during an arc caused by the original owner improperly installing a solenoid. The damaged wires were causing a short. Not positive yet but will know once I rewire all melted wires.

Tags
solenoid no click arcing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO