lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Re: best option for SOC for RXV ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Hey slashpine, where are you located?
Am in extreme N.E. GA...Rabun Co. (paddle faster...I hear banjos!)

Funny, lots of cart folks in the general region and likewise where I am originally from (Tampa Bay Area) on the forum...great place BTW...

Quote:
Yep, drill hole, plug in plug near keyswitch, pop gauge in hole, done.
Thanks a million guys...

one more question on the topic...if I wanted to cut a second hole below the hole for the OEM gauge (small rectangle) for a regular DVM display...can I tap into (solder/heat shrink) the +/- wires on the plug & play gauge pigtail??
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Don't do that. The meter is powered by the controller, can very easily destroy the ($1100) controller by adding your own stuff. Some have learned the hard way ($$$) doing just what you suggested.. run a separate set of wires to the batteries (or solenoid large terminal for keyswitched operation) for any non Ezgo stuff.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Don't do that. The meter is powered by the controller, can very easily destroy the ($1100) controller by adding your own stuff. Some have learned the hard way ($$$) doing just what you suggested.. run a separate set of wires to the batteries (or solenoid large terminal for keyswitched operation) for any non Ezgo stuff.
OK roger that...thanks for the advice...that's why I asked...Thanks again...
Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
Am in extreme N.E. GA...Rabun Co. (paddle faster...I hear banjos!)

Funny, lots of cart folks in the general region and likewise where I am originally from (Tampa Bay Area) on the forum...great place BTW...

Thanks a million guys...

one more question on the topic...if I wanted to cut a second hole below the hole for the OEM gauge (small rectangle) for a regular DVM display...can I tap into (solder/heat shrink) the +/- wires on the plug & play gauge pigtail??
I get out that way fairly often. The reason I asked, I have a couple of RXV SOC meters I keep as spares. I have to drive to Washington DC on the 6th of September. Maybe we can meet up along the route and I can pass one on to you. I'll be taking 64 east to I-95 this trip, since I'll be overnighting in central NC the night of the 5th.

I was stationed at McDill AFB for several months in 1981, so I'm a bit familiar with the Tampa Bay area.

As cgtech mentioned, don't even put a meter probe into that SOC socket. There are 48VDC wires right next to the 5VDC wires, and several people here have found out the hard way that not only will it take out a very expensive controller, but it can also take out every 5VDC powered encoder and other digital devices connected to the carts main wiring harness. All without even making a visible spark.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
nctourer
Not Yet Wild

Holy smokes.. Glad I found this topic. Almost tapped into that pigtail with a DVM on a 2012 rxv..
nctourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctourer View Post
Holy smokes.. Glad I found this topic. Almost tapped into that pigtail with a DVM on a 2012 rxv..
Yup, I've helped a few of the guys get their carts diagnosed to see all that had been fried. Most didn't even realize they bumped an adjacent pin in the connector and fried everything. It wasn't until they had the cart back together that they discovered the problem.

When I added an E-Z-GO RXV speedometer to my 2012 RXV, I tied the 48V power leads to the SOC meter leads. But I know the RXVs well, and I understood the risks. I was successful with that wiring, but later I removed the connections and put weatherproof shrink wrap over those wires to seal them up. I had to remove the pins from the SOC harness connector in order to slip the shrink wrap over each wire. Despite my experience, I was still nervous doing that. I even did one lead at a time so I would not get the leads reversed. I will not risk doing that again.

I used to recommend tapping into the keyswitch output wire for powering low current switched +48V loads. Not anymore

The best place to tap switched power is at the main solenoid. I used to dislike the timeout that shuts the solenoid off after a period of inactivity. Now I look at it as a way of keeping the pack from discharging when I leave the key on and walk away. LOL

That is not the best place to tap battery voltage for a DVM anyways. There are loads on the + and - 48V power leads that run through the harness, which causes voltage drop in the harness at the SOC meter and keyswitch. The best place to connect a DVM is right at the battery pack terminals.

Bob
Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #17
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
I get out that way fairly often. The reason I asked, I have a couple of RXV SOC meters I keep as spares. I have to drive to Washington DC on the 6th of September. Maybe we can meet up along the route and I can pass one on to you. I'll be taking 64 east to I-95 this trip, since I'll be overnighting in central NC the night of the 5th.

I was stationed at McDill AFB for several months in 1981, so I'm a bit familiar with the Tampa Bay area.

As cgtech mentioned, don't even put a meter probe into that SOC socket. There are 48VDC wires right next to the 5VDC wires, and several people here have found out the hard way that not only will it take out a very expensive controller, but it can also take out every 5VDC powered encoder and other digital devices connected to the carts main wiring harness. All without even making a visible spark.
Bob
Thanks so much for the offer and the information...if it was for myself I would not hesitate and would look forward to meeting you in person...Franklin (64) is about 20+ miles from here...actually I just on the other (south) side of 'Standing Indian' if you're familiar?

At any rate my neighbor is fine with ordering a meter (even an oem from EZGO)...what is your opinion of this one listed on ebay? They don't mind spending the sales tax...they are both UGA grads... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-UP-EZGO...JSoU0J&vxp=mtr

Thanks...you guys rule...!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
Thanks so much for the offer and the information...if it was for myself I would not hesitate and would look forward to meeting you in person...Franklin (64) is about 20+ miles from here...actually I just on the other (south) side of 'Standing Indian' if you're familiar?

At any rate my neighbor is fine with ordering a meter (even an oem from EZGO)...what is your opinion of this one listed on ebay? They don't mind spending the sales tax...they are both UGA grads... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-UP-EZGO...JSoU0J&vxp=mtr

Thanks...you guys rule...!
That SOC meter looks good, and the price is great.

I did not know you were that close. I'm close to Ducktown TN, near the SW corner of NC. Like 50 miles west of Franklin. I used to go with wifey to Buck Creek, on the north side of 64, near Chunky Gal. A lot of gemstones are found in the area. There's an old ruby mine, lots of camping sites in the national forest there. Wifey passed christmas eve 2009 so I haven't been there in years. I focus on my projects and research, and do work in DC from time to time. I'm a presidential advisor, but he pretty much ignores my advice.

If you need any help with programming, I have the programmer and the knowledge. I specialize in RXVs with Curtis controllers.

Bob
Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #19
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
That SOC meter looks good, and the price is great.

I did not know you were that close. I'm close to Ducktown TN, near the SW corner of NC. Like 50 miles west of Franklin. I used to go with wifey to Buck Creek, on the north side of 64, near Chunky Gal. A lot of gemstones are found in the area. There's an old ruby mine, lots of camping sites in the national forest there. Wifey passed christmas eve 2009 so I haven't been there in years. I focus on my projects and research, and do work in DC from time to time. I'm a presidential advisor, but he pretty much ignores my advice.

If you need any help with programming, I have the programmer and the knowledge. I specialize in RXVs with Curtis controllers.

Bob
I used to always take guests to the "lost sea"...is it still open to the public?
Again...thanks for the offers...will keep you in mind...not sure how long the guy my neighbors got the RXV cart from will be in business...it seems to be fleeting for smaller shops etc..

If you're familiar with 'Standing Indian' it is the water shed for the the Tallulah River on the south side...I am directly on the head waters of the river a couple miles above Lake Burton...There are several Amethyst, Mica and other mines within hiking distance of here...some very high quality crystals have been found...one of the mines more known to the public is "charlies creek amethyst mine" (you can google it)...There are other mines nearby that very few folks know about that produce some gem quality crystals...
Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I used to see the signs for the Lost Sea, but I have not used that route to DC and back since early 2016. So I don't know if it's still open. I had an EV/NEV design business here for nearly 20 years, closed it down in December of 2016. I thought I would be able to retire. It seems like I'm working harder on my own projects than what I did for others, but at no pay

I'm using crystals in my latest research. I pump crystals with energy of one form and use those crystals for energy conversion to another form. Very similar to pumping a solid state laser, then focusing that energy into a YAG crystal to excite it to lase at a different wavelength. I'll not bore you with details, but the end result is an output for a specific purpose. Decades ago, I used to develop energy beam weapons for the Department of Defense, so I'm in my comfort zone with this research.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO