lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
zane
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Potential F/R Switch Issues?

Hello, Fantastic forum! I have done a bit of searching but no luck with finding information regarding my specific issue. I have a 1993 EZGO 36V (series) cart.

I have had this cart for about a year and it has acted this way the whole time. When putting the cart all the way in the Forward position I have had to back it off a bit to get it to go and I have to play around with it a bunch to find the sweet spot to get it to go faster. It's almost like there is a dead spot when moving the handle around. If I put it in reverse all the way and it's much faster than forward and has no issues.

I have cleaned and checked all of the connections and everything looks good. I replaced my controller this week with a new Alltrax SR-48300 and a new Solenoid. Batteries are Trojan and were put in new at the end of 2014. This cart does not have a Half Speed reverse set up.

So, I did a little test tonight and swapped the S1 and S2 wires at the F/N/R switch so that forward is reverse and reverse is forward. I no longer have any issues going forward now. Reverse now is seeing the same issues as I was originally having in forward as expected.

I'm not a fan of wiring things backwards and I want to solve this issues correctly. My gut tells me I need a new F/N/R switch.

Two questions:
1. Am I doing any harm by having S1 and S2 swapped? I don't want to damage my new controller.
2. What are your recommendations to resolve my issues correctly? Anyone had this issue...

Best,

Zane
zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Potential F/R Switch Issues?

Others can maybe explain it better, but there are contacts on your f/r that need to make solid contact when the f/r is rotated. If you lift the seat up, you can see the mechanism move as you move the f/r lever. It’s probably a case of worn contacts or misalignment. I would guess misalignment, as you said you can move it just a bit to get more speed.

From what I’ve read here, there’s no problem with switching the cables around, but you need to fix the issue. It is often suggested as a diagnostic tool.

In my very humble opinion, one of the best things you can do to your series cart is change your fr to a contactor. Takes away a problem part of your cart and is much easier to shift.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/reversing-contactors.html
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #3
Sideways
Gone Wild

I concur with Orangeman6 and highly recommend a reverse contactor, I replaced the manual F&R switch on my 94 Medalist with one of Scottyb's SW182 reverse contactors.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Zane,

May I add to the "replace it" suggestions......

Not only is your FnR not making contact, a "resistive" contact and a lot of DC current can go from frustrating to "OH S__T" quickly !!!

Below is a couple of pics of a FnR fire !!

Ditch the Switch !! Get you a Scottyb contactor now !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (376.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (283.4 KB, 0 views)
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
zane
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTurbo View Post
Zane,

May I add to the "replace it" suggestions......

Not only is your FnR not making contact, a "resistive" contact and a lot of DC current can go from frustrating to "OH S__T" quickly !!!

Below is a couple of pics of a FnR fire !!

Ditch the Switch !! Get you a Scottyb contactor now !
WOW, That's a convincing post...
zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
WOW, That's a convincing post...
Shocking Luckily that is not common. We do have a heavy duty rotary switch too. It bolts right in place of the old unit and gives better service. The HD rotary switch is about $100 less than the reversing contactor kit.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The problem is the FNR needs adjusting. I'd first take it apart and clean with a Scotchbright pad. Then look for signs of overheating. If it looks to be OK, reinstall it. Place the FNR switch EXACTLY in Neutral, then slide it left and right until the FNR handle is exactly in Neutral - straight up. Then tighten the FNR switch support. The FNR support has slotted holes for this reason.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tightening the center nut on the forward and reverse switch might solve your issue for now. I also have the reversing contactor, and it's definitely worth the extra $100!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Turns out this is a marathon so there is no adjustment like the TXT linkage presents... and tightening the center pivot nut will increase surface pressure if there is good contact left to be had but, no help for the typical melted post.

Since he has the 300 controller and stock wheels he can use the SW182 which is only $40 more than a HD F&R
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Learn something new every day. My TXT has slotted bolt holes for adjustment. Since he mentioned a "sweet spot", I just assumed it needed adjustment.

yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO