lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 84 - 3 wheel golf cart- steering ball joint/tie rod

Hello All,

I am trying to help my friend out. He has a 1984 3 wheel ezgo,
I am trying to put in a new boot / and tie rod on the steering rack, The problem is that I cant get the tie rod on the steering rack, there's just no way unless I drop the front fork down about an inch.. Does this sound right??

How does the front fork come off? Any help is appreciated..

Thanks,

Ant...
Ant-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 - 3 wheel golf cart- steering ball joint/tie rod

These might help.

X-440 is the 3-wheel version.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I have an '85 X-440 3 wheeler that I've removed the motor from for another member here. If you have trouble finding steering parts, let me know.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
These might help.

X-440 is the 3-wheel version.

Yea, that helps..

But has anyone changed one of these steering tie rods?? I just cant see having to drop the fork on this thing just to change the steering tie rod ... Just seems not right to me.. Is this the correct way to replace that tie rod???

Thanks,

Ant...
Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This will help you. I'm having the same issue with my 3 wheeler. That nut on the ball joint is impossible to get to! When I was finally able to reach it with the smallest wrench I have, I couldn't get any leverage on it. Apparently EZGO suggests removing the entire steering column and replacing it with a new steering rack with the tie rod end.

https://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produ...ring-Rack-Only

"This is a replacement steering rack with the tie rod end and a protective rubber bootie. This steering rack has straight gear teeth on one end (that interface with the reduction gear) and a tie rod end at the other end (connects to the idler arm for 4 wheel cars, or to the fork for 3 wheel cars). It fits E-Z-GO golf cars and utility vehicles made from mid 1970's through 1994.

The entire steering box must be removed from the car and then disassembled in order to replace this rack. First remove the column & shaft from inside the car. The box is held in place by 3 bolts that are accessed from underneath the floorboard. The tie rod end also must be removed from the idler arm or fork. Then the entire box, gears and all, comes off.

The tapered tie rod end on the rack often starts to wobble around on the idler or fork, causing loose steering. This does not mean the rack must be replaced. Frequently this end can be further tightened on the idler or fork by tightening the rod end retainer nut (sometimes not very easy to do). Watch the nut as someone moves the steering wheel back & forth a small amount. If the nut wobbles, the tie rod end is loose in the hole. If just the upper portion of the rod end moves (nut stays put) then the tie rod end is worn and the rack must be replaced to tighten up the steering. E-Z-GO does not offer the tie rod end as a separate part as it is welded to the rack when manufactured.

This steering system is easy to identify because it is bolted to the floorboard, inside the golf car, at the bottom end of the steering column. The steering column mount flange is attached by 4 bolts and is very easy to remove. Once the cover is removed the entire steering column, steering shaft and the steering wheel all come off as a unit, but it is easier to remove the steering wheel before taking off the column. On the bottom of the steering shaft is the steering input gear, which flops around on the shaft. With the column removed from the box you can see the round, toothed Reduction Gear, which pulls right off its center shaft (don't lose the small washers), and then you can see the teeth of the Steering Rack in behind the reduction gear."
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have had the whole rack out.. I put the new tie rod on the steering rack and tried to reinstall it, It just does not have any play there at all.. The tie rod sits even with where the tie rod goes through to connect to the fork.. and if I put the tie rod where it connects at the forks then I cant get the rack to line up with mounting holes.. Looks like I'm gonna have to drop the fork..

Ant...
Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Ant-Knee
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, Finally got to the nut that holds the forks on, Does anyone know what size the nut is on here?? Its pretty big...

Thanks,

Ant...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO