lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default So I am at my wit's end.

I guess not being a techie guy doesn't help my situation. I have a 1999 EZGO 956 shuttle. 36 volt batteries are two years old, Plum quick motor, Curtis 500 amp controller, 2 gauge wire, and my cart seems slower than it ever was. I went into the throttle setting today to check my i t s, and it seemed just fine. When I put my foot on the pedal, within half an inch travel I will hear the solenoid engage, but I do not have movement on the cart until my foot is halfway through my pedal's travel. I do not know what else to check I know my batteries are good I do not see any reason why my controller would be malfunctioning so why is this cart moving so darn slow? I am about ready to take it to a repair shop which is something I do not want to do. If anyone has any advice please make it in simple terms for this dummy to understand and I thank you in advance
Ed
outdoorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: So I am at my wit's end.

The solenoid engaging tells us the microswitch and back is good.... the 1/2 pedal response points toward the ITS and its wiring..... notorious for problems is moisture (water) in the ITS assembly and its connector leading up to the controller.

Start there looking for issues... unplug and plug in the connector a few times

Make sure no water or debri has found its way into the ITS....

These are always good places to start.....
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you, yes that's what I did today, I took the accelerator assembly out today and made sure the gap was 17/32. Its clean and dry in there, the cart hasn't been used since last Aug. I've read about assessing ohm draw at various points in the accelerator's position, I need to find that again and try to wrap my head around it so I can test my ohm levels
Old 06-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it has sat that long, I would also be load testing the batteries, full pack and individually.......

There are plenty sharper folks here, but checking over the basics and having info to report will help get you going sooner ...
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Check this out:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...d-running.html

In particular, note the input by Scotty and JohnnyB. Without knowing your exact controller, you should be able to measure it's performance given the information that JohnnyB posted in the link. That's probably the ohm measuring that you are referring to. With that information, I could tell that everything pre-controller was ok and that the issue had to be post-controller.

Don't discount a problem with the motor itself. I was running the stock motor though and still am. I am not sure what PQ does with theirs but, depending on how long ago they did your motor, it may need some servicing.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Did you happen to put big tires on it?
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsed View Post
Thank you, yes that's what I did today, I took the accelerator assembly out today and made sure the gap was 17/32. Its clean and dry in there, the cart hasn't been used since last Aug. I've read about assessing ohm draw at various points in the accelerator's position, I need to find that again and try to wrap my head around it so I can test my ohm levels
If your cart has an ITS throttle system, and it sure sounds like it does, the Ohms testing stuff doesn't apply. (It is for Pot Box type throttles)

For an ITS throttle in a 956 shuttle you check the voltage on the white wire at the controller. (Pin-3) When pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click, you should get 1.4V to 1.8V and with pedal on the floor it ought to be 2.4V to 2.8V.

-----------
Connect your DVM between the B- and B+ terminals on the controller. What does the voltage drop to when you accelerate to max speed?

Then connect your DVM between the M- and B+ terminals on the controller. What is the max voltage reached as you accelerate to max speed?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
outdoorsed
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok so.... So with the V meter on the b- and the m- you should have a reading of 0 and then as you press the peddle slowly to the floor your V meter should go smoothly from 0-36V. I top out at 21V. I suspect it's the throttle sensor.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

It's looking that way. I thought those shuttles all had POT (potentiometer) boxes on them but I have no idea for sure. Mine is a '91 and has a POT but yours could very well be different. The POT and the ITS look nothing alike so you'll have no issue seeing which one you have.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My 956 has an ITS throttle device. Testing procedure is in the stickies at the top of the page. There is an Alltrax service bulletin with regards to an ITS throttle hesitation program fix as follows:

The hesitation on start we believe is a problem with how the linearized throttle position is set, if someone gets that have them pull up the toolkit, make sure they can see linearized throttle position (a check box in the tools à options window will let you see it if they can’t already). We want to check the Big double sided arrow in the top left corner, if you hover your mouse over it you should see a number pop up. If it’s a high number drop it to 5% if it’s already at 5% drop it to 1% and see if that helps.

Give it a try and post the results.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO