lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
HeinrichsFit
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 IQ DS runs a few feet then quits

Electric Club Car 48v
Mcor - recently changed

I lifted my Club Car and afterwards I pulled it out the garage no more than 50' in reverse. After putting it back in Forward it went 5' and stopped... Beeping, as though in "limp mode". If i were to press the throttle petal again the motor jitters for a second then stops.

After letting it sit for a few moments I can get it to move again, but only with little throttle.
HeinrichsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 IQ DS runs a few feet then quits

For one reason or another your solenoid isn't closing. Check your wiring to it.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
HeinrichsFit
Not Yet Wild

Update: 7:00pm 9/2/18

I put the rear of the golf cart up on jack stands to test out voltage while running. I could not repeat what happened earlier. Everything seems to run ok.
Large terminals:
  • Yellow to controller: 48v
  • Red to Battery: 49v
Small Terminals:
  • Blue/white: 49v but drops to 0 when throttle pressed
  • Blue: 49v
PS: There is a resister between the 2 Large terminals

After testing for 5 minutes, I realized I left the motor speed sensor unplugged. "I was testing it earlier-Volts were normal" I plugged it back and everything worked ok. Will try again in the morning.

Also is there anything else I should check for if this happens in the morning?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Those voltages are low. Charge the batteries. Should be about 50 volts.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Naz24car
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Should work fine after plugging the speed sensor back in... the controller is looking for feedback..no feedback it tries to shut it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naz24car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
HeinrichsFit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24car View Post
Should work fine after plugging the speed sensor back in... the controller is looking for feedback..no feedback it tries to shut it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope when I test it in the morning it will be ok. When this was happening the first time the motor speed sensor was plugged in. I unplugged it afterwards to test the volts on each wire to try to diagnose the problem. It was only unplugged for this second test, while the cart was up in the air.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
HeinrichsFit
Not Yet Wild

Update 9/3/19 11:00 am

I put the golf cart back on the ground to test it out again. Sure enough the same thing happened. It ran for 50 or so feet ok, and then wouldn't move, just a small jolt.

Change in Voltage at Solenoid:
  1. Blue/White wire: 51v constant, press throttle goes to 0 for a second then back to 51v "while throttle still being pressed".
Cart doesn't move, but still hear clicking.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

When the cart is inop, exactly what are the voltages at both the light blue wire AND the blue/white wire?

You should not get voltage until the key is on, in Fwd and Go Pedal depressed enough to engage the MCOR.

That is a precharge resistor between the large posts and the voltage on the battery side large post should be pack voltage and on the other large post 1 to 1.5 volts below pack voltage, and then when the solenoid closes, it should come up to full pack voltage.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
HeinrichsFit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
When the cart is inop, exactly what are the voltages at both the light blue wire AND the blue/white wire?

You should not get voltage until the key is on, in Fwd and Go Pedal depressed enough to engage the MCOR.

That is a precharge resistor between the large posts and the voltage on the battery side large post should be pack voltage and on the other large post 1 to 1.5 volts below pack voltage, and then when the solenoid closes, it should come up to full pack voltage.
Just walked out to the garage to give a go... I had the battery charger connected to the car for the past 3 hours. The Battery Warning Light was either on or it flashed when I unplugged the charger and my in-dash volt meter was reading 49.9v.

I reproduced the problem 1 time, and then it worked fine. I do have to note that the clicking I heard before I believe was the MCOR, not the solenoid. Now that the cart is running normal, I can actually feel the click of the solenoid through my Volt Tester. Do you think the Solenoid was stuck closed and the controller shut the cart down?

Wires:
Key switch on, in neutral
  • Light Blue wire: 53v
  • Blue/White wire: 52.4v
Key switch on, in forward
  • Blue/White wire: 52.4v
When I depress the Pedal and start to move
  • Blue/White wire: 0v
Old 09-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

An unplugged speed sensor does not prevent the cart from moving, it only limits it to 50% power (aka: limp mode).

The Controller has enough safeties not to engage the Solenoid is any signals are missing, since you get that "jolt", it appears the controller is engaging the Solenoid but the contacts are not closing.

You need to replace the Solenoid.

You can also measure the voltage between the 2 large posts when the Solenoid clicks, it should be 0v as all current should be passing through the Solenoid contacts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car