lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
04fxsts
Not Yet Wild

Default Unplug while in charg cycle

Honest I tried the "search" function and didn't come up with anything. New at this with a 2005 CC 48 volt and have already found it should be plugged in after use. So far it seems to take about five hours to run through the charge cycle. Is there any harm done if I have used the cart and put on charger then a couple hours later want to use it again? Thanks in advance, Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Unplug while in charg cycle

There is no harm but no benefit either.

The cart should be plugged at the end of the day (or when you are done for the day), not after every time you use it.

The only exception would be if the "use" drains the pack more than 50%.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

With no disrespects intended to my friend Sergio, but I am a very BIG proponent of P&P (Park & Plug). Those batteries are voltage dependent and the less deeper every discharge is the more available charges you have and the faster it recharges. Since you always want your pack at the very highest voltage possible (for strength and duration), then when you park it - plug it and you are always assured of the maximum availability from your pack.

And by no means am I saying you have to find a plug and carry your charger around with you, but if you run it down the street for a while and come back later and park it, then go ahead and plug it in. It will behoove you in the long run as I have gotten a minimum of 7 years on any set I have owned (US or Trojans) in multiple carts and as much as 10 years on the last set of US's that were just replaced with a Lithium Pack. I attribute that to good battery maintenance and charge states.

And if it is an OBC and you unplug it during a charge cycle, the OBC remembers the energy units replaced and will still compensate for that upon the next charge. With OBC's I always like to reset them about twice a year just to allow the relearning of the pack and charge cycle. If it is a smart charger, it will simply use its own algorithm and work off the current voltage.

Here is a thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...daily-not.html with a lot of input in it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

the cc powerdrive manual suggest that if you unplug the charger while charging to withdraw the plug slowly. the 3rd prong that energizes the charger solenoid is shorter than the 2 charge current prongs. withdrawing the plug slowly turns of the charger before the current prongs disengage and prevents arcing on the plug/outlet

no disrespect for my friend nole :) my cart is rarely plugged in, charger is in the shop/garage 200 feet away from the house. i'm a gimp and use the cart to get to/from my shop, might use the cart for a total of 400 feet a day. i plug in when i'm in the shop and the voltage is near 49 volts, sometimes it does a full cycle, sometime not, it has worked fine for the past 7 years.
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

None taken - We are all sharing experience and knowledge....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car