lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ALLTRAX XCT500 and D&D 170-502-0001 High Torque Motor Upgrade

ALLTRAX XCT500 and D&D 170-502-0001 High Torque Motor. Does anyone have this upgrade on their cart? I am thinking of buying this combination for my 2002 EZGO PDS cart and would to know peoples thoughts on this. i.e., speed and torque compared to your previous setup. I am going from an older ALLTRAX DCX400 controller and stock motor. I have a lift kit, 22" tires and a back seat installed on my cart. My old configuration with turbo on was about 25 mph and decent torque. I like the thought of more torque, but I do not not want to lose more than a few mph also.
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ALLTRAX XCT500 and D&D 170-502-0001 High Torque Motor Upgrade

That motor was trouble for some of my customers. I ended up replacing many of them. I would look at the PQ or the FSIP motors.
How big are your tires and where and how will you use the cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty,

I hate to hear that about the D&D motors, because they looked really well made. What kind of luck have you had with the FSIP, have you had many returned? I know they have only been making motors for about a year and a half. Where are you located? could you tell me the cost of shipping a motor to Mobile, AL 36695? Have you heard of Advanced Lift Motors in California? I spoke to STU and he seemed very knowledgable. My cart has 22" tires and I will be using it half the time around the neighborhood and half the time at the hunting camp. I would like to gain some torque without losing to much speed.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

FSIP has been manufacturing motors for about 2 years or more. Initially I told my rep that they needed to compete price-wise with Admiral. But they insisted their motors were better built and more along the lines of D&D and PQ offerings. So I bought a couple of motors and sent them off to Alltrax for testing and mapping. Alltrax gave FSIP positive reviews on both construction and performance. They made some field maps and sent the maps and test results back to me. It was a nice experience all the way around. I have since spent a year running the FSIP motors in my research dept.
I'm pleased with the results. And there have been no failures to report.
Guys are reporting 25 mph with good torque increase on the Torque motor.
These motors will ship out of PA for the east coast. Expect motor shipping to run about .75 to $1 a pound.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB, thanks for the info on the FSIP Motor. I will be purchasing the combo from you probably by the weekend. I just want to make sure I am ordering the right items. I have a 2002 EZGO PDS 36 volt that I will not be upgrading to a 48 volt anytime soon. It has a lift, 22” tires and a back seat. I use it half and half for a neighborhood cruiser and at the hunting camp with moderate hills. I have been running this configuration for the last five years with the stock motor and an ALLTRAX DCX 400 controller in turbo and have been seeing around 25 mph, until I burned up the controller this weekend and possibly the motor. I believe I should order the FSIP high Torque motor with the ALLTRAX XCT400 and 200 amp solenoid? Am I correct. Will your same prices on the motor and controller extend into November? Two quick questions, first if I order the solenoid does it come with the bracket and the recharge resistors and diode? Also what Kind of performance can expect to see in regards to torque and speed compared to my stock motor and DCX400 controller? The extra torque will be nice but I do not want to loose too much speed also.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Torque and speed are in constant trade off in the design of an electrical motor.
Just like the 22" tires, they are 22% taller than stock 18s. They increase top speed by 22% but they also reduce torque by the same amount, 22%.
Nobody tells you that when they sell the lift kits.
I think you will find the FSIP motor strikes a pretty happy medium between speed limit and recouping lost torque. Your speed should stay about the same while it gains power. Plus the peak output on the XCT400 is 60 amps (15%) higher than the old DCX model 400. And the sustained output is higher also.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks again for the info ScottyB, hopefully these posts will help other people trying to make these same upgrade decisions as me. One last question for now...LOL. I was looking around the ALLTRAX website and it said that with big tires and a bigger motor or hunting buggy they recommend the XCT500. With this being said you know a lot more about the FSIP high torque motor and ALLTRAX controller combination than me. With the tests that ALLTRAX ran for you did they ever say what the max amps the FSIP high torque motor pulled under load? After just burning up my last controller and making a big purchase I don't want to make the wrong decision buying the XCT400 over the XCT500. If you think the XCT400 will fit the bill for a long time I will go with whatever you decide. Also another determining factor for me is that I am told I can fit the existing cover over the XCT400 with a small modification. I know that the controller is waterproof but I am worried about the solenoid and connectors getting wet. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

DO NOT COVER THE XCT.
It is waterproof. It has cooling towers.
It needs fresh air to cool.
You can run a 500 if you like, but you asked for my recommendation.
Given your cart, your use, I suggested the XCT400 based upon my research.
If you want to do something for your cart - spend that extra money on 48 volts. It will produce more speed - more torque - and less component heat.
Low voltage and high amp usage is the biggest killer of all things in a DC drive system. I hope this helps
Old 10-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks ScottyB, that does help. Thanks for your honest reply and not trying to sell me something I do not need!
Old 10-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB, now after thinking about the benefits that you mentioned from a 48 volt system and my current 6 volt batteries are 5 years old and will probably need replacement in a few years I may upgrade to 48 volts then. With that being said I believe you told to go with the XCT500 and a 400 amp solenoid, is that better for a 48 volt system? If I go with the XCT500 now with a 36 volt system, would you adjust it down to 400 amps until I got the 48 volt (6x batteries and charger?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO