lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default reversing contactor?

A good friend of mine works as a mechanic at a rental equipment place. He got me a reversing contactor (free of charge) but I'm not sure if it's the right one that I'll need. I haven't seen it yet, but the part# on it is SW202-41 and 48 volts. I think it came from a electric lift, I'm not exactly sure what he said lol! Can anyone tell me if I can use this in my 95 Medalist.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: reversing contactor?

https://www.arc-components.com/sw202...uous-6659.html

The specs are in that link. I’m pretty sure I got the right one. It says 250 amps continuous and 450 amps @ 30% duty cycle. I would think it would work, but I’m curious to what the experts say. I have the sw202 from Scotty. I never gave any thought to what it could handle. Just knew that if he sold it to me I was good. I don’t think that even our souped up carts draw the max amps for very long, but again, have to wait for the experts. IIRC, you’re still figuring out your battery situation, but have you upgraded the controller yet? I believe the stock controller is 250 amps??

I do know that it’s an easy install, so if it’s free, it’s probably worth trying it out. It’s a much better setup than the f/r lever and cam.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
https://www.arc-components.com/sw202...uous-6659.html

The specs are in that link. I’m pretty sure I got the right one. It says 250 amps continuous and 450 amps @ 30% duty cycle. I would think it would work, but I’m curious to what the experts say. I have the sw202 from Scotty. I never gave any thought to what it could handle. Just knew that if he sold it to me I was good. I don’t think that even our souped up carts draw the max amps for very long, but again, have to wait for the experts. IIRC, you’re still figuring out your battery situation, but have you upgraded the controller yet? I believe the stock controller is 250 amps??

I do know that it’s an easy install, so if it’s free, it’s probably worth trying it out. It’s a much better setup than the f/r lever and cam.
I'm waiting for tomorrow for Scotty's black Friday sale and I'm buying the SR48500 controller and the 400 amp solenoid. Right now I have the 4 batteries that my friend gave me on 4 individual battery tenders just to keep them charged. I'm going right to 48 volts and I know the reversing contactor is the way to go, but I just want to make sure the SW202 and the SW202-41 are the same. I'm hoping the experts chime in here soon too.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are fine, that "-41" suffix number is called a "precise identity number" and it identifies that specific Albright DC contactor number with a specific customer and possible contactor special features.

It usually means very little other than protect OEM sales by giving the illusion of a "special" part.

As long as the mounting bracket works for you, that contactor will perform the same as any other sw202 contactor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You are fine, that "-41" suffix number is called a "precise identity number" and it identifies that specific Albright DC contactor number with a specific customer and possible contactor special features.

It usually means very little other than protect OEM sales by giving the illusion of a "special" part.

As long as the mounting bracket works for you, that contactor will perform the same as any other sw202 contactor.
Awesome! Thank you. I'm sure I can figure out a way to mount it. Happy and healthy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...iscussion.html

I came across this old thread where is basically says you really don't need a main solenoid when running a reverse contactor. i was hoping to get some input from the guys with more experience.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

On my 48V cart, I have the solenoid along with the Super Duty Contactors. I would not set it up any differently.

The solenoid connects and provides power to the controller. The F\R contactors provide the power from the controller to the motor.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not sure how You would provide the pre-charge to the Controller without the Solenoid, that needs to happen before the controller sees full voltage.

I don't think a "mail welded" is the type of safety You could easily override.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

70oldsracer,

Attached are some more detailed specs from the Curtis Albright SW200 Series contactors.

The graph on page 5 indicates the following contactor ratings:
1 minute = 1020 amp
3 minutes = 670 amps
5 minutes = 520 amps
10 minutes = 350 amps
Continuous = 250 amps

I have this contactor on my cart and it is well suited for heavy duty applications.

Note that the Curtis Albright Contactor that you are getting may have magnetic blowouts (to prevent arcing of contacts) and according to the attached technical document, you will need to ensure that correct polarity is used when you install it.

The above specification are for the Curtis Albright (now called Albright?) Contactors and may not necessarily apply to the Chinese made contactor copies that are being marketed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50156_SW200_Albright_RevA.pdf (459.7 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

70oldsracer,

Here is a link to when I tore down my SW202 Contactor for inspection. It comes apart fairly easy and since yours was previously used, you might want to have a look inside before installing it with your other new electronic equipment.

Have a look at Post #14 and #15. As you will see in the photos, my contactor had light to moderate arcing on the contacts. I gave them a light buffing with a cloth (did NOT use emery cloth), assembled it and have not had any problems with it since the inspection.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...hrottle-2.html
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO