lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2008 Precendent Charging Problems

I have a 2008 Precendent 48 volt with a Powerdrive 2 charger. I went to plug in charger and it did nothing. I checked and made sure I had power at the outlet and I do. I tried my friends Powerdrive 3 charger and his charger would not come on but the yellow warning light would flash but my charger wouldn't do anything. The pack voltage measure 49.9 volts. Is my OBC the problem? Thanks in advance!
Jazz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Precendent Charging Problems

Yes, your OBC has failed. Do you know how to bypass it?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No, I do not know how to by-pass the OBC. Why would I want to by-pass the OBC? Is that what needs to be done to confirm that the OBC is junk? Doesn't the charger need the OBC to work properly?

How do I by-pass the OBC?

Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My friend has this charger that he said I could use until I get my OBC replaced. Do I still need to by-pass the OBC? He said that he puts this charger (see attachment) on his cart over the winter only and uses his Powerdrive charger during the golf season and does not by-pass his OBC? Does the OBC have any affect on the controller? Also would I still be able to use my cart if this charger will charge my batteries until I get a new OBC?

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled.pdf (261.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz24 View Post
No, I do not know how to by-pass the OBC. Why would I want to by-pass the OBC? Is that what needs to be done to confirm that the OBC is junk? Doesn't the charger need the OBC to work properly?

How do I by-pass the OBC?

Thanks again!
You can bypass the OBC for testing/interim purposes by running a jumper from the back side of the charge receptacle (where the black 10g wire is that goes into the harness) and run it directly to the Main Pack Negative post. Also take the grey sense wire coming off the same receptacle and land it to the same place. This will allow the charger to turn on "if" the OBC has failed. Note- This is only to test and not to make normal operation. You would not be "charging" the batteries at all, just quickly surface charging the battery plates. The OBC's purpose was to regulate/reduce the current once the batteries reached a much lower voltage and allow the charge to slowly build up to the cutoff voltage. If You just run it unregulated, the plates will quickly reach 61v to 63v but not be fully charged. You will need to watch it and turn it off when you see the voltage top out.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz24 View Post
My friend has this charger that he said I could use until I get my OBC replaced. Do I still need to by-pass the OBC? He said that he puts this charger (see attachment) on his cart over the winter only and uses his Powerdrive charger during the golf season and does not by-pass his OBC? Does the OBC have any affect on the controller? Also would I still be able to use my cart if this charger will charge my batteries until I get a new OBC?

Thanks for all the help!
That will not charge your pack. It is only designed to add a trickle charge (2 amps) to a fully charged pack to maintain it while it is stored. You can get that same item off eBay for ~$90
Old 05-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Jazz24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response!

It looks like a have a problem with my charger also. I took my charger and tried it on my friends cart and it would not turn on. I had purchased the Repair Kit (rectifier, fuse and relay) a year ago. Looks like I will have to do that again.

What would cause both items to fail?
Old 05-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Hard to tell, but you will quickly find out when you open and inspect it. Relay, A/C Brkr, etc.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If neither charger works on your cart there could be a wire issue with the charge receptacle or wiring between the receptacle and the OBC. Or a wiring issue in the DC cord wiring for your charger.

The yellow warning lamp can blink at any time while the Tow/Run switch is in Run position. Are you sure it was not just coincidence that the light blinked while his charger was plugged in?

There are a lot of things that can and need to be checked in the charger and on the cart to verify if it's a cart problem or a charger problem. Spit-balling parts at the charger is just a waste of money.

Follow the red wire from the back of the charge receptacle to the battery + on battery number 1. Is it frayed at the back of the receptacle? Damaged anywhere between the receptacle and the battery? Is the eyelet terminal on the battery end corroded?
If its frayed or damaged at the receptacle, the receptacle needs to be replaced.
If the eyelet or wiring is damaged those can be repaired with new eyelet or new wire section. Use a voltmeter to check for 48+v reaching the terminal of the red wire in the receptacle. Be sure to put the voltmeter black lead on the battery pack main negative post.

The small grey wire on the back of the receptacle can corrode inside and break off in the receptacle. Give it a light tug. If the end looks frayed or if it pulls out replace the receptacle. Check the fuse inside the yellow fuse holder as well. Make sure it's not blown, and there is not corrosion inside the holder.
There is also a fuse on the receptacle that the black wire goes to. Check the fuse, check the black wire just as the others. If its frayed or damaged, replace the receptacle. The fuse can be replaced separately if it's blown, but there is usually a reason the fuse blew and it will probably blow again.

From there move on to the charger. Remove the cover and inspect the wiring and wire connections inside for burning or for loose connection or corrosion.
The OBC controls the relay by grounding the relay coil. It uses 48V from the cart to power the relay. Leave the AC cord unplugged. Plug the DC cord into the cart, and listen for the relay to click on. If it does not, Check for 48+V reaching the relay terminals. Again, black lead on the Carts pack main negative post.
If you have low or no voltage at the relay, there is a wire issue either in the charge cord, or a poor connection in the plug/receptacle.
Check both wires of the relay. If you have 48V on BOTH, you have no ground connection to the OBC.
If you have 48V on ONE wire, and low or 0 voltage on the other wire, the OBC is providing ground, and the relay has likely failed.

Try those and see what you get.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car