lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Papas 73Dart
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default RXV wont move

I have a fellow that bought 2 EZGO RXV carts from a friend in another province
He had them shipped to Alberta and drove them for a very short time before the 2009 wont take a charge shows red LED flash code 2and his 2010 just quit . The 2009 had one weak battery but refused to take a charge with either chargers so we disconnected it and put it on a 2amp trickle charge on the weak one to see if it will recover
The 2010 wont roll out where it would be easier to look at .I tried the key in all positions and tries with battery disconnected no luck
I have very little experience with EZGO as there are no local dealers and not a lot of ezgo here at the resort. Also the 2010 charger when plugged in shows a solid green LED but the pack voltage is only 43.6 volts and doesn't increase
I want to help this family but don't want to get in over my head too deep
I have no problem getting parts and information for Club Car or Yamaha
Papas 73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV wont move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas 73Dart View Post
I have a fellow that bought 2 EZGO RXV carts from a friend in another province
He had them shipped to Alberta and drove them for a very short time before the 2009 wont take a charge shows red LED flash code 2and his 2010 just quit .
The two red flashes mean the total pack power is less than 36v. It won't charge if it is below 36v or more than 67v. I suspect based on the age (2009) that the batteries are toast on that cart.

Check each battery's voltage and the total pack voltage. If the batteries are old then they need to be changed. Probably on both carts.

Quote:
The 2009 had one weak battery but refused to take a charge with either chargers so we disconnected it and put it on a 2amp trickle charge on the weak one to see if it will recover.
Are you doing the whole pack or each battery? Check the year on the batteries. Should be stamped on them somewhere. Assuming you have 4x12v setup in those carts. Probably both have bad sets of batteries.

The folks at https://procarts.ca/ in Red Deer by you are nice. If you need stuff they are good.

Quote:
The 2010 wont roll out where it would be easier to look at .I tried the key in all positions and tries with battery disconnected no luck
That is because to go into "tow" mode you need to have power to disengage the brake. You can remove the engine brake and the cart will roll. It is attached to the motor.

Quote:
I have very little experience with EZGO as there are no local dealers and not a lot of ezgo here at the resort. Also, the 2010 charger when plugged in shows a solid green LED but the pack voltage is only 43.6 volts and doesn't increase
EZGO is way under serviced in Canada. (I know I deal with them all the time in Ontario area. Cheap used because no one services them. All the dealers have gone Clubcar or Yamaha in Ontario.) The only place that really has anything is GC Duke's in Hamilton, Ontario. They are the main supplier that all dealers have to deal with.

Quote:
I want to help this family but don't want to get in over my head too deep I have no problem getting parts and information for Club Car or Yamaha
See my comment above. It sounds like you have dead batteries on both carts. The charge of a fresh set of batteries should be over 50v. The cells may be dry (need water).

Before you do anything I would try a fresh set of batteries in one of the carts. T-1275 Plus batteries is what I put in my 2008 RXV for batteries. Be prepared for the price...

https://procarts.ca/ in Red Deer are nice. I know someone who has dealt with them in that area and they had a good experience.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapled View Post

That is because to go into "tow" mode you need to have power to disengage the brake. You can remove the engine brake and the cart will roll. It is attached to the motor.
Check this you tube video for the locked up 2010 before you remove the motor brake. Be careful the cart may roll. Put something under the wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkYDH1u9R0w
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Papas 73Dart
Getting Wild
Yamaha

The batteries have been changed but I don't recognize the brand and unfortunately the owner is gone till this weekend and the carts are in his garage.
We will do a little more thorough investigation this weekend
Old 07-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

When you mention red LED flash code, I'm guessing this is a PowerWise QE? Or Delta Q SC-48 (same pig, new lipstick). NEVER trust what the charger says. They're garbage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
When you mention red LED flash code, I'm guessing this is a PowerWise QE? Or Delta Q SC-48 (same pig, new lipstick). NEVER trust what the charger says. They're garbage.
Lol, I might have heard that before
Try getting the voltage up higher, but yeah, those chargers are hopeless. I suppose the temp sensor on the batteries could be full of corrosion (all delta-q chargers that want temp readings will fail on that one, QE, SC-48, and QuiQ would fail to charge). The only one of those 3 that I would own is the yellow & black "bee" charger, QuiQ, the other two are totally dumpster fillers.

The QuiQ has been better, but far from "best", at least it's programmable, and survives heat better than the OEM-speced QE & SC-48. When the OEM goes to a big manufacturer, and "specs out" a price-oriented charger, the consumer looses. Bean counters made the QE & SC-48. A major "black eye" to Delta-q's reputation, but delta-q did it twice, so they are just as accountable for the reputation hit. I bet the same might happen for clubcar's Delta-q ERIC charger (I hope I'm wrong).

Not sure who else has noticed, but RXV fleets come with the better QuiQ charger, what's up with that? We never get those from ezgo!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

CG we already got a dead ERIC. It was already remanufactured by FSIP once too. Feels cheaper than a QE.

Lately our '14-up RXVs have been a mix between SC-48s and QuiQs. I am going out on a limb here, but my guess is that these replaced dead QEs at least once.

As for brand recognition, Delta Q might have one out of three that are good, but once upon a time, Chevrolet made a Vega, and only one variant was worth a hoot, the others were garbage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
Papas 73Dart
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Hi folks
The owner got back this weekend and I went and spent some more QUALITY time with the RXV beasts. We tried getting the one weak battery in the 2009 to take a slow charge on a separate battery charger no luck. I swapped out a decent one from the 2010 cart and tried both chargers. Amazingly one of the chargers started working and we were able to get the cart mobile.
That was the extent of the good news the other charger is garbage.I swapped out the key switch on the 2010 since the owner said it sometimes wouldn't turn the cart on but it works fine in the 2009.Nothing seems to come to life on the 2010 even with a pack voltage of 49.8 volts and the only fuse i can find is fine.
I turned the ignition key on and jumped the small solenoid terminal to ground and got the solenoid to turn on but no other reaction (electric brake release,back up alarm,motor response from throttle movement)I'm at a loss of where to look next
Has anyone got a trouble tree test procedure that may save some time.There is always a voltage reading on both main terminals on the solenoid but I don,t see a resistor on the terminal
Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There are several threads about this. Don't know of a definitive checklist. But here is a guideline and you test what you need to.

Someone else posted these:
Here is the list of things the RXV self-checks for:

Electric brake - it will attempt to rock the motor a 1/4 turn both ways.

Park brake check - it will engage and then disengage the electric brake to check parking brake function.

Reverse alarm check - it will beep the reverse buzzer. (Yes this means if you remove or disconnect the reverse buzzer on an RXV the cart will fail to run.)

Charger inhibit check - Checks to make sure the charger is not currently plugged into the cart.

Throttle switch check - Also called HPD or high pedal disable. Accelerator must not be pressed or the cart will not run.

Throttle operation check - The cart makes sure the pedal registers both fully closed and fully open voltages correctly.

Any of these checks not passing will cause the cart to not run. Unfortunately, not even a handheld scanner can tell you which condition failed. I will give you a list of the common reasons I have seen for RXV's to fail the checks:

Bad charger receptacle port: Makes the cart think it's charging when it's not. Sometimes even a wet receptacle on a recently washed cart will trigger this.

Disconnected or removed reverse buzzer, or a buzzer full of water.

Accelerator is remaining partially depressed due to debris, mud, or some other factor preventing the pedal from returning fully. You can catch this one by reaching down and pulling the accelerator pedal all the way towards the seat and then switching on the cart. If it runs when it previously did not, very possibly something is causing the pedal to get stuck.

Loose battery connections. Especially on the RXV's with four twelve volt batteries, the rear battery tends to have a bad connection on the driver's side post. Check all the battery cables.

The aforementioned faulty solenoid. Inspect and replace. You can usually see an indicator of a bad solenoid because of a clear difference in color between the main posts, or even black marks or other signs of scorching.
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi folks
The owner got back this weekend and I went and spent some more QUALITY time with the RXV beasts. We tried getting the one weak battery in the 2009 to take a slow charge on a separate battery charger no luck. I swapped out a decent one from the 2010 cart and tried both chargers. Amazingly one of the chargers started working and we were able to get the cart mobile.
That was the extent of the good news the other charger is garbage.I swapped out the key switch on the 2010 since the owner said it sometimes wouldn't turn the cart on but it works fine in the 2009.Nothing seems to come to life on the 2010 even with a pack voltage of 49.8 volts and the only fuse i can find is fine.
I turned the ignition key on and jumped the small solenoid terminal to ground and got the solenoid to turn on but no other reaction (electric brake release,back up alarm,motor response from throttle movement)I'm at a loss of where to look next
Has anyone got a trouble tree test procedure that may save some time.There is always a voltage reading on both main terminals on the solenoid but I don,t see a resistor on the terminal
NEVER jump the solenoid negative line of the controller of an RXV to pack negative while it is still connected to the controller! It is not a standard golf cart electrical system, it is a drive-by-wire system. Solenoid negative is a voltage regulated output, set to match the solenoids voltage. Solenoid negative never goes to pack negative to turn on the solenoid on that era of RXV! Doing that can blow out the controller!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO