lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Specif Parts List and Instructions for an Upgrade

I have a '94 CC Trans-Sender (6 Seater) 36V, Electronic controller. (Serial#: J9425 384233) I'm looking to upgrade to a 48V system. I have brand new batteries (Trojan T-105) and I have room to add 2 more 6V batteries. I already have #2 Welders cable for the batteries. The motor, Controller and solenoid is the easy part.

What I need is some step by step instructions and a Parts list.

Like, do I need to replace the F&R switch to something Heavy Duty, if so, which one do I need? Same with the Throttle controller, I assume is a V-Glide, but I have a SS Controller (250 amp), so do I need a new throttle controller or Pot? And, if so, which one. Do I need to replace other wires or wiring harness? I gather I will need to replace the voltage reducer for the Lights and accessories.

Is there anything like that available or do I just look for the parts and ask the parts people which one I need, assuming I do need it?

I am mechanically able to do the work, but I don't know enough about it to do it. I really can't afford to pay someone to do it for me. I'm into this more than I need to be, but I couldn't afford a 6 seater set up for Torque that I need to pull the hills in our neighborhood. There just aren't that many out there.

So, if anyone has some info or can point me to some that would give me specifics, I would be most grateful.

Joe

Last edited by joepiccaso; 04-23-2020 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Emphasis added
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Specif Parts List and Instructions for an Upgrade

If you are already a solid state (controller) set up it should be very straight forward. You can probably find a very similar 48v controller that may (or willl) attach wire for wire or upgrade to an Alltrax or similar with some pretty easy wiring to do and will come with good instructions and there is a ton of info on here. Your throttle control will most likely work unless is something weird, a vglide will definitely work, you will need a new solenoid and if the rest of the wiring us good thats probably about it. Dont worry about getting a new HD F&R switch because the 36v is already beefy, I ordered a HD version and it had the exact same size contacts as my stock one so now I have a spare. Being that your looking for high torque you may want to look at the aftermarket controllers vs. a stock club car controller.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you take a couple pictures of your controller, throttle set up (vglide?), solenoid, FnR switch, etc. you can probably get some better info.

Also need to make sure all your cables are updated going to and from the motor to the FnR too, assuming its a series motor setup.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Jake_Daddy! It is a series setup. The Wiring from the motor back to the controller and FnR switch was one of my questions. Is that a pre-made harness or just individual wires? All of the electronics are under the front seat behind a long plastic cover. I can pull it back some, but it's hard to tell what's back there. I'll have to take the charger out to get the cover out of the way. I'll be glad to share pictures. I'm also trying to figure out if I have an OBC or not, though I think I read that the 36V CC Carts didn't have an OBC. Anyway, before I buy another charger I need to clear that up, though I understand I can bypass it, but I'll need some instruction there, too.

Here are some pictures, but not very good. It was real tight in there.The first one is the throttle (V-Glide) I guess.

Also, when I add the two extra batteries, as long as I cable them in series, I can add them to the existing battery configuration? Just wire them into the batteries between the two that have the leads going out, replacing one of the shorter cables connecting two batteries? Or do I have to rewire them some way?

Is there any market for the old stuff I take out, Controller, solenoid and motor?

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg
Old 04-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

leave the 36 volt motor in there if you want to go faster ….48 volts on a 48 volt motor wont be any better than you have now....but 48 volts on a 36 volt motor will bring it to life...…

and the heavy duty switches Scotty B sells are made to handle extra juice...

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/f---r--switches.html
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge but that selonoid and controller don’t look stock. That selonoid is still rated at 36v so it will need replacement but that looks like a FSIP controller and I thought club car always used Curtis controllers. See if you can get the model numbers off that controller and it may be good for 48v which would save some bucks. All the fat wires are what you want to upgrade to at least 4ga and 2ga would be better. Smaller wires are fine and your vglide will work fine.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
leave the 36 volt motor in there if you want to go faster ….48 volts on a 48 volt motor wont be any better than you have now....but 48 volts on a 36 volt motor will bring it to life...…

and the heavy duty switches Scotty B sells are made to handle extra juice...

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/f---r--switches.html
Thanks, Budule. No, speed isn't what I'm after. My neighborhood is quite hilly and as it is now, it barely makes it up the hills. The grandkids can get off and walk up faster than the cart will go. But, it does make it. I'm looking at a high torque motor and 500 amp controller from D&D. It will boost the speed a little, but it's the torque to pull the hills that I'm after. The added voltage by going to 48V is for amps more than just voltage.

How do I tell which FnR switch will be correct? Do I just take the old one out and look for a number?

Joe
Old 04-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge but that selonoid and controller don’t look stock. That selonoid is still rated at 36v so it will need replacement but that looks like a FSIP controller and I thought club car always used Curtis controllers. See if you can get the model numbers off that controller and it may be good for 48v which would save some bucks. All the fat wires are what you want to upgrade to at least 4ga and 2ga would be better. Smaller wires are fine and your vglide will work fine.
Jake_Daddy, It has a SS Controler now. It's not stock. The previous owner had replaced it with a 225 or 250 amp unit. I believe everything else is stock, though. I'm looking at a High torque motor package from D&D Motors. It has a 500 amp controller and matching Solenoid. I already have #2 awg welding wire battery cables, and quite new, replaced with the batteries. The batteries had just been replace about a year ago now, Just before I bought it in June '19. It has 6-6V Trojan T-105 batteries. I plan to add 2 more 6V to make the 48V. I have room under the front seat. This is a 6 seater Trans-Sender. And, I'm looking at 48V onboard battery chargers, maybe from eBay. I know, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Any advice on adding the 2 extra batteries? It would seem as long as they are all in series, it shouldn't matter where I connect the new ones. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would say keep the cables short as possible for the wiring but yea as long as they get installed in series with the rest of the pack you will be at 48v. If you are getting the motor/controller/solenoid package you should be good to go, just make sure to upgrade all the high amperage cables on the FnR and the large cables that run to and from the solenoid, don't worry about the small stuff on the switches. If you have the cable I would go to amazon and stock up on the lugs you will need. The new solenoid may use a 3/8" lugs so see if that comes with your kit and if not order those and for the FnR I think the two smaller lugs (on the rotating part) are 1/4" or #10...I think its #10 but for my four gauge wire I had to get a 1/4 but it works fine just slightly larger.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #10
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Great! Thanks. So, I have #2 AWG welding wire for the battery cables, do I use the same for those other cables or just go up a size? I haven't measured them to see what their gauge was. It's a long way from the solenoid to the motor since it's a 6 seater and the solenoid and controller are under the front seat. It could be 8' of wire. I'll probably start disassembling the cart this weekend so I can get more data as to what is in there. The new parts may come this weekend as well. I'm getting there, especially, with a little help from my friends. Thanks, Joe

Tags
36v, 48v, club car, trans-sender
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car