lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
Jakenbake49
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lightbulb Does anyone have any experience with SPEED CODE 5 PROGRAMMER for curtis Controller?

Looking to get more speed out of our cart. We have a 2008 club car ds 48v with GE motor and a curtis 1510 250amp controller. We also have a 6 inch lift with 22 inch tires. Unfortunately we only gained 1 (17mph to 18mph) mph with the lift and bigger tires. Also we added a speed magnet but it was from ebay and more than likely did nothing. Hoping to add some more speed and saw this "speed code 5 programmer from shelby control systems. Wondering if anyone has experience with it and if its worth the $180 to try it out as they "guarantee" a difference or they will refund.

Last edited by Jakenbake49; 04-24-2020 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
Jakenbake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience with SPEED CODE 5 PROGRAMMER for curtis Controlle

If you want best results, upgrade to a 500a Alltrax controller.

If the magnet didnt help... its possible your batteries or cables are not up to the task.

My stock 250a speed code 4 controller went 21mph on stock tires.
After the Alltrax install... 27mph.
After lift and 23" tires... 31mph.

All with new Trojan batteries and 2awg cables.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Does anyone have any experience with SPEED CODE 5 PROGRAMMER for curtis Controlle

Avoid the Speed Code 5 programmer. It does the exact same thing as a high speed magnet.

Note that you have the 'thin can' GE motor. It can only handle a max of about 350 amps. If you get a larger controller, you'll need to either get an upgraded motor or turn the controller down.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Jakenbake49
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Went back under the cart and did verify that it's actually the 250amp controller. Woops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200424_103031.jpg (91.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200424_103107.jpg (153.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Jakenbake49; 04-24-2020 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Add pics
Old 04-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

With those big 22" tires, you really need more amps to turn them. A larger controller would give you much more torque and a little more speed.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

If those are the speeds you're getting now with the equipment you have there's something wrong with your car you need to check battery voltage while driving and at take off a new controller is not your answer until you get the Cart fixed
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
Jakenbake49
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I agree Greg. Will have to get my son to help with checking the voltage. So basically jack it up check voltage on pack and hit the pedal and check drop from the pack?
Old 04-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
greg-g
Gone Wild

On the road while driving from a dead stop floor it and then read it again when you are at top speed and cruising
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #9
cajunman 1
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I know this is an old post but I have just arrived at the exact same problem with same set up. My question is what should the voltages be at take off and at full gas? or under load?
cajunman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:25 AM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman 1 View Post
I know this is an old post but I have just arrived at the exact same problem with same set up. My question is what should the voltages be at take off and at full gas? or under load?
Its the current (amp) measurement you should be concerned with here not so much voltage.

So adding oversized tires effectively does the same thing as putting a taller gear ratio in the rear end.
It puts more load on the motor at all times and makes it work harder. Just like when you change gears on a mountain bike to the larger front sprocket by the pedals and it makes it harder to pedal..(yes if you can pedal at the same speed you will get additional road speed this way but you use more energy and be under more strain) Your battery range will suffer.
More available current to the motor can help but the motor still has to work harder and gets hotter and is more likely to fail. Just keep all this in mind if your hard on the motor now. The only real way to overcome this is to change the gears in the rear end or at least go with a higher torque motor to compensate for the gear ratio change cause by the tire circumference. Theres just no free lunch here.. Everything has a tradeoff. This is the reason I went with 20" tires myself on my electric cart even though they dont look as cool.
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, curtis controller, speed 5 code
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car