lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
Denntt
Not Yet Wild

Default 36V to 48V Conversion - Contactor or Controller Failure?

Alltrax XCT48500 & MJZ-400

First, thanks for looking at my post; I always appreciate this forums attention to the members. After troubleshooting earlier today with Alltrax I was able to get wheels to spin, and later I took it out for a maiden voyage. During the trip ~1min, I heard a noise and smelled smoke. I pulled the seat and found smoke and the controller flashing a 'Pre-Charge Failure' code. The smoke appeared to be coming from the area of the controller and not the solenoid (they are separated by the depth of the seat (front-to-back of the cart), close but not that close).
In my limited research on the forums this apparently appears when there is an issue with the Contactor/Solenoid. I conducted the series of tests below and you can see the results. I believe that the contactor or the controller is toast.
When the issue happened, I was at ~50% throttle and I let off quickly, then rengaged the throttle nearly immediately to near the ~50% throttle position. So, while doubtful the pedal operation is, nor should be the culprit, I thought it worth mentioning I am trying to determine what may be the issue (beyond a potentially toasted contactor/solenoid or controller).

Test 1) measure voltage between the battery pack 48V “Negative Post” and the Battery “+” side of the Solenoid. Should be battery pack voltage
Test 2) measure voltage between the battery pack 48V “Negative Post” and the Controller side of the Solenoid with the Key Switch off. Should be 0 volts (or a residual Controller voltage depending on how much voltage has bled off)
Test 3) measure – repeat 2nd measure with the Key Switch and foot switch on. Should be battery pack voltage
Test 4) measure the voltage between the two small posts of the solenoid with KSI ON and Tow/Run ON (Run enabled)
Test 5) swap out old solenoid (36v) and retest Tests #3&4
Test 6) measure voltage across the contactor main lugs

1) 50.0V
2) 0V
3) 0V - There is no audible solenoid click when the controller is powered on, nor when the throttle is depressed
4) 0V - Previous to this incident, this measurement was equal to the battery pack voltage
5) Controller still threw the same failure code. Solenoid did not actuate on Power ON, nor Throttle ON. Not surprising given the difference in solenoid field voltage ratings (36V vs. 48V)
6) Contactor main lugs read 50.1V across without KSI ON nor Tow/Run = RUN Enabled

This leads me to believe the contactor main lugs are welded closed internally. I am having difficulty understanding how this could happen given the controller is reading the voltage and amp values, and there are two external fuses that interact 1) with the controller (10A ATC) and 2) with the battery pack (400A ANA), both of which are intact.

Does Test #6 conclude the issue is with the contactor and not the controller?

What could A) cause this condition? and B) what is preventing it from happening again? and C) do I need to upgrade to a 600A contactor? You assistance in troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Denntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
Denntt
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 36V to 48V Conversion - Contactor or Controller Failure?

I hope everyone had a nice and relaxing weekend. After troubleshooting on Friday, I was able to determine the contactor was good and the controller had a failure. Controller was sent back on Friday to Alltrax under an RA as a warrantable issue. Looking forward to getting a replacement controller here and furthering testing. Thanks to all that looked and hoping for a positive solution.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Don't hear of many Alltrax failures. Keep us updated.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
Denntt
Not Yet Wild

Yes, unfortunately I received a 'bad' controller. I RMA'ed the Alltrax controller and they confirmed a motor field diode failure as a result of the manufacturing process. I am currently awaiting notification of when I will receive a replacement controller. COVID has put a strain on their manufacturing and RMA resolution. Looking forward to getting the cart put back together and finishing testing. Will keep the group updated... Thanks.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Thanks for keeping us updated
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, mzj-400, xct48500
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO