lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
flyingsteve
Not Yet Wild

Question Removal of GPS wiring connected to FNR switch

Hi there! I am brand new to this forum and have already learned a ton by reading through some of the posts. As of this afternoon, I am a first time golf cart owner. I bought a used 2017 TXT that was previously a fleet cart. My plan is to dismantle as much as I am comfortable with, clean, repaint, add some cool accessories and then enjoy the thing :-) What I thought was going to be a very easy task today now has me confused. That being said I am not an electrical engineer and have tried to look at some wiring diagrams but just can’t figure out what I’m seeing. I wanted to remove the GPS wiring. What I found is that one of the wires connected to what I believe is a relay (see picture). That really is inbetween the controller (run/tow box) and the forward/neutral/reverse switch. The wire which comes out of the controller is green, the wire coming out of the FNR switch is blue. I am assuming that the relay is not original and was added for the GPS system for some reason. I just want to return this back to original and would love some help! If any of you can help, please use the KISS method with me :-)Thank you so much, Steve
flyingsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Removal of GPS wiring connected to FNR switch

So, first, what makes you so desire to remove that wiring? If there were ever a gps device (for golf course use & a expensive device), its surely been removed when it was "decommissioned".
Have never even seen that device on any cart I've ever dealt with. Hell, I bet if it were still there, itd be a little goldmine for you to sell. Dont worry about it. They would never leave that "gold nugget" for you.

If you find out I'm wrong, I want that thing for research of how it interacts with the controller. I'm not offering a pile of money (actually offering about zero above shipping costs), just more interested on how it interfaces with the controller (especially on a TXT that technically doesnt even know when its motor is spinning forward or backward, besides the F&R switch). That system is still "old school" and I'm not sure how a golf course would use its controller interface to any useful effect. (Why a cheaper/easier "standalone GPS" without controller input wouldnt suit their needs better on a model that doesnt actually "know for sure" if it's going forward or backward). Only AC models of Ezgos can say "for sure" which direction the motor turns. (RXV & 72v AC txt).

You could push your TXT48 & prior DC models all around your whole yard, they technically wouldnt know if they were pushed going forward or backward, but they might try to stop you from pushing it. Basically, the older models only knows "is it moving", and the AC models sensor can tell "is it moving, and what direction is it moving"..

Plus the the older model only knows 4 "steps" per motor revolution, and the AC model knows 64 "steps" per revolution.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
flyingsteve
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
So, first, what makes you so desire to remove that wiring? If there were ever a gps device (for golf course use & a expensive device), its surely been removed when it was "decommissioned".
Have never even seen that device on any cart I've ever dealt with. Hell, I bet if it were still there, itd be a little goldmine for you to sell. Dont worry about it. They would never leave that "gold nugget" for you.

If you find out I'm wrong, I want that thing for research of how it interacts with the controller. I'm not offering a pile of money (actually offering about zero above shipping costs), just more interested on how it interfaces with the controller (especially on a TXT that technically doesnt even know when its motor is spinning forward or backward, besides the F&R switch). That system is still "old school" and I'm not sure how a golf course would use its controller interface to any useful effect. (Why a cheaper/easier "standalone GPS" without controller input wouldnt suit their needs better on a model that doesnt actually "know for sure" if it's going forward or backward). Only AC models of Ezgos can say "for sure" which direction the motor turns. (RXV & 72v AC txt).

You could push your TXT48 & prior DC models all around your whole yard, they technically wouldnt know if they were pushed going forward or backward, but they might try to stop you from pushing it. Basically, the older models only knows "is it moving", and the AC models sensor can tell "is it moving, and what direction is it moving"..

Plus the the older model only knows 4 "steps" per motor revolution, and the AC model knows 64 "steps" per revolution.

Hearing that makes me wonder all the more. I thought maybe it was one of the devices that disengage the motor when you get too close to a green or area they don't want carts.

I guess my question at this point would be...where is the green wire from the controller supposed to be connected and where is the blue wire from the FNR switch supposed to be connected!

Thanks for your response!!
Old 06-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Like I said, I have never seen one in person that ever had the gps on it during its lifetime. I'll look more into it.

Well, I looked at all my TXT-48 factory service manuals up to 2018, and didnt see a GPS option. So, unless I missed it, I dont know .... sorry.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

As the GPS approaches No-Go zones, it beeps a warning. If ignored, it disables the cart once it crosses that pre-programmed line. It was incorporated to reduce cart theft more than anything else. I too would love to have one for science. I have the GPS harness and mount from one of those carts. I have seen them and how they interface with the controllers programming port. Once removed, it is no longer plugged into the programming port. You can't even use an older Curtis handset on one of those carts, even if you plug it into the secondary programming port built into the GPS harness which would have been removed from your TXT48. It requires one of the new dual protocol handsets, and the new TXT48 controller that has the GPS interface software added,
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
flyingsteve
Not Yet Wild

Got it figured out! The wire from the FNR switch was running through a relay which disconnected power when the gps needed to cut the cart off. I just removed the relay completely and connected the wire from the controller directly to the FNR switch. Thanks for the replies guys!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO