lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Hartwell
Not Yet Wild

Default Will a stock RXV handle a 33% / 18° incline?

I saw the RXV manual mentioned the recommended maximum incline was 25% / 14°, but my run from the house to the lake is a 33% / 18° incline

From my reading here, it sounds like an RXV will be the way to go. It is a fairly short run to the lake, about 90' on a concrete path (no switchbacks).

One consideration is a 2017 RXV, possibly with a lift kit and 20" tires that local dealer has available.

Thanks!
Hartwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Will a stock RXV handle a 33% / 18° incline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell View Post
I saw the RXV manual mentioned the recommended maximum incline was 25% / 14°, but my run from the house to the lake is a 33% / 18° incline

From my reading here, it sounds like an RXV will be the way to go. It is a fairly short run to the lake, about 90' on a concrete path (no switchbacks).

One consideration is a 2017 RXV, possibly with a lift kit and 20" tires that local dealer has available.

Thanks!
Be aware that a stock 2017 RXV only has 72% of its rated power (235A X .72 = 169.2A) available to get you up that incline. With stock tires, it can likely manage that. If Freedom mode has been enabled, that power is reduced an additional 12% (40%), so 235A X .60 = 141A, which would be enough torque loss to prevent it from going up that incline, even with stock tires. Larger tires reduce motor torque reaching the ground. 20" tires are 2" taller than stock tires, further reducing torque. With 20" tires, even without Freedom mode enabled, it is not likely to make it up that incline without stalling. It is that close!

That controller can be reprogrammed to eliminate that initial 28% or 40% torque loss, but not the larger tire torque loss. That increased torque will give you the power needed to be able to climb that grade, even with those 20" tires!
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Hartwell
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Will a stock RXV handle a 33% / 18° incline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Be aware that a stock 2017 RXV only has 72% of its rated power (235A X .72 = 169.2A) available to get you up that incline. With stock tires, it can likely manage that. If Freedom mode has been enabled, that power is reduced an additional 12% (40%), so 235A X .60 = 141A, which would be enough torque loss to prevent it from going up that incline, even with stock tires. Larger tires reduce motor torque reaching the ground. 20" tires are 2" taller than stock tires, further reducing torque. With 20" tires, even without Freedom mode enabled, it is not likely to make it up that incline without stalling. It is that close!

That controller can be reprogrammed to eliminate that initial 28% or 40% torque loss, but not the larger tire torque loss. That increased torque will give you the power needed to be able to climb that grade, even with those 20" tires!
Thanks for the information Bob. I really appreciate your contributions to the forum and who much time you spend help us newbies.
Hartwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO