lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Paxdad
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melted battery terminal repair

THe only hard part is that the 5/16-18 tap takes a special size drill bit refered to as an "F" most hardware store do not carry this size. This is somewhat important as the F is in between sizes and when taping lead it really does make a difference.

To answer your question if you have already put the stud/ set screw in I would not take it out. I have probably fixed 10 or so batteries this way and have had very good luck! I do recommend using blue locktite on the set screw.
Paxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I had one to melt, I took it to a local Golf Cart repair shop, he returned it to Trojan in
Macon, Ga they replaced the post for $15.00. The shop gets a weekly shipment from Trojan, it took 2 weeks to get the repaired Battery back.
ED
Edwardlmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
ClubCarSouth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardlmcc View Post
I had one to melt, I took it to a local Golf Cart repair shop, he returned it to Trojan in
Macon, Ga they replaced the post for $15.00. The shop gets a weekly shipment from Trojan, it took 2 weeks to get the repaired Battery back.
ED
Edwardlmcc -- I am in Alpharetta -- where is this repair shop? I melted my terminal and I am a newbie with repairs and such so, I would rather just have a repair shop repair the terminal for me and live without my beloved Club Car for 2 weeks -- although, i would love it for the concert we are having in my n'hood.
ClubCarSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcarsouth View Post
edwardlmcc -- i am in alpharetta -- where is this repair shop? I melted my terminal and i am a newbie with repairs and such so, i would rather just have a repair shop repair the terminal for me and live without my beloved club car for 2 weeks -- although, i would love it for the concert we are having in my n'hood.
its in macon called safe start
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartoner View Post
Ok...i used roadys fix to fix a melted post....problem is, without thinking about it, i used a 1/4" tap and socket set screw...seem to work ok, should i redo it with the 5/16" set screw or will i be ok?
I actually think you are asking for trouble with the way you repaired it. By using a socket head screw you are pulling the lead (which is soft) every-time you tighten the bolt and it will fail sooner or later. If you had done as suggested above, the nut would have absorbed more of the stress from the tightening as it would spin on the stud instead of pulling on the soft lead.
I think you will see it get harder and harder to tighten as you stretch the threads and you then will have a loose connection which are never good in a electric vehicle.

You should also use a bottoming style tap to be sure and fulling tap the complete hole because lead is so soft. The repair will only be as good as you do it.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #16
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi All who responded to this, I guerss I didn't expect much to be said about this. Anyway I took the Trojan battery to Johns Cart Repair in Peachtree City, GA and he shipped it to Macon to a Distributer and I believe it was two weeks later they shipped the repaired battery (the melted terminal was replaced) and the cost was $15.00. That was weal over as year ago and it is still ticking.
I look at this thread more often in case there are other questions.
Take care, Edwardlmcc
Edwardlmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartoner View Post
Ok...i used roadys fix to fix a melted post....problem is, without thinking about it, i used a 1/4" tap and socket set screw...seem to work ok, should i redo it with the 5/16" set screw or will i be ok?
Using a 1/4 stud for the first attempt is a great idea. That way you can progressively increase the tap size if your first attempt proves less than satisfactory.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Personally I like to use these:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...1102377&ucst=t

They allow me to drill a hole smaller than the actual Lag portion of the bolt, I screw down 2 - nuts and use an impact gun to drive them into the hole I just drilled. After bottoming it out, I simply remove 1 of the nuts, place my wire on and resecure with lockwasher and nut. Overall time to repair a battery with a melted post.... Under 3 minutes start to finish.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Personally I like to use these:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...1102377&ucst=t

They allow me to drill a hole smaller than the actual Lag portion of the bolt, I screw down 2 - nuts and use an impact gun to drive them into the hole I just drilled. After bottoming it out, I simply remove 1 of the nuts, place my wire on and resecure with lockwasher and nut. Overall time to repair a battery with a melted post.... Under 3 minutes start to finish.
Thanks for the link. That's probably what Trojan uses for their repairs, who knows? Not likely to strip out when the nut is tightened.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I only posted the link to give you a pic of the fastener, buy them locally and you will save a ton of money. I get mine from Ace Hardware and I can buy them a heck of a lot cheaper than that site lists them for. Stick with the 2 inch total length ones and you don't have to worry about going too deep when drilling for it.

Been doing repairs that way for years and have never had one fail on me yet. I even had 1 customer that I did it for that had just bought his batteries and installed them himself and forgot to tighten one terminal properly. his batteries lasted 6 years and he never had any issues with the fix. It even works for those battereis where the entire post twists off.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO