lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #21
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melted battery terminal repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I only posted the link to give you a pic of the fastener, buy them locally and you will save a ton of money. I get mine from Ace Hardware and I can buy them a heck of a lot cheaper than that site lists them for. Stick with the 2 inch total length ones and you don't have to worry about going too deep when drilling for it.

I knew that but a picture is worth a thousand words. Wish when someone tries to explain something they would provide a link to manufacture or retail sales of the item if they have it.
I have some of these in my shop both the SS and galvanized. Even the galvanized are probably ok to use as the battery doesn't last long anyway.
Thanks again.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yeah the galvanized should be fine as well. I buy the SS ones only because I never know when someone is gonna bring in a brand new battery needing one and I wanna ensure it's gonna last them 5-6 years. I can't count how many times I have repaired a battery in this method and told the customer that it'll cost them $10 and had them hand me $20 as a tip for saving them from having to buy a new battery. Heck, a couple of weeks ago, I got a new corporate account for our company because I was able to repair 3 batteries like this when my competition down the street told them they had to buy 3 new batteries.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #23
gwar28
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
yeah the galvanized should be fine as well. I buy the SS ones only because I never know when someone is gonna bring in a brand new battery needing one and I wanna ensure it's gonna last them 5-6 years. I can't count how many times I have repaired a battery in this method and told the customer that it'll cost them $10 and had them hand me $20 as a tip for saving them from having to buy a new battery. Heck, a couple of weeks ago, I got a new corporate account for our company because I was able to repair 3 batteries like this when my competition down the street told them they had to buy 3 new batteries.
Do you use a size "F" drill bit with these?
gwar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #24
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a 3/16 or 1/4 drill bit when I do mine. Just big enough to let the threads still have lead to "grab"
Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #25
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

As gorno said, tighten the replacement stud/cable often. I did this about 6 months ago. When all other cables are tight, this repaired one seems to loosen up pretty quickly, so keep it very snug or you'll just be melting down again.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #26
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Personally I like to use these:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...1102377&ucst=t

They allow me to drill a hole smaller than the actual Lag portion of the bolt, I screw down 2 - nuts and use an impact gun to drive them into the hole I just drilled. After bottoming it out, I simply remove 1 of the nuts, place my wire on and resecure with lockwasher and nut. Overall time to repair a battery with a melted post.... Under 3 minutes start to finish.
That is a great idea! I'll be using that method next time. I'm leering about how much to tighten the regular bolt. Pretty worried about stripping it right out of the hole.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
The Hawk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Regarding Rabbitreborn's repair advice, I would like to try this on my battery, but I can not find a stainless steel hanger. The only type I can find locally is made out of zinc. Does the hanger need to be stainless steel or can I use the zinc type?
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #28
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use Stainless because it is available to me.... I have used the Zinc in the past, nothing at all wrong with them.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #29
The Hawk
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the advise, it worked like a charm. You saved me a about two hundred dollars, the price of two batteries. Thanks again.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Thank you for the advise, it worked like a charm. You saved me a about two hundred dollars, the price of two batteries. Thanks again.
you can mail the check to......

lmao seriously though, glad to be of help, that's why this forum is here.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO