lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
jmuss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Rxv motor brake question?

I have a 2017 48v RXV.
On deceleration I have a rattle that sounds like that old electric football game. You know the one with the plastic guys and the foam football. Cranked up too high.
It sounds to me like it is in the front end, however I've had suggestions that it may be the motor brake. I have a great video of the noise just not sure how to upload? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
jmuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Default Re: Rxv motor brake question?

I doubt that the brake is making the noise. The brake is either on or off. Whenever the cart is moving it should be completely off. If it was the brake I think it would make the noise anytime the cart is moving, not just when you decelerate.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check your hub splines.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can remove the Motor Brake and shake it a little bit and listen for any noise. In my case there was a clunking to hear inside. If so, loosen the two hex screws crosswise until the springs depressed and open it. Preatty simple thing, but i've found out, that the Ringcoil had some play in the housing, causing a rattling noise at lower speeds! A few spots of RTV Sealant and cleaning all parts fixed the problem. When the Brake was opened, you must allign the mounting holes with three 6mm bolts. There is a YouTube video showing the procedure. Ojo

Motor Brake Allignment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwDYiNYBb8

Motor Brake teardown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjpq6rIi-M
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
jmuss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBIRD! View Post
Check your hub splines.
SBIRD you may be on to something. I'm almost positive it's coming from right front of cart. Going to check bearings this evening. What is the best way to check hub splines? TIA
Old 12-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The splines are just on the rears, pull the wheels and castle nuts to visually inspect. I check bearings by jacking up and check for play in the wheel. There's probably a better way but I'm no wrench.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
jmuss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you Wild things for your input.

I went through the buggie looking at everything you suggested plus a few. Splines looked good, bearings good, changed differential fluid. Motor brake ah! The infamous Rxv motor brake. As Ojo suggested I took off the motor brake and found some play in the housing. Had one on order already so replaced. Problem solved.

Thanks again,
Jmuss
Old 01-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO