lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
Diesel14
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 DCS 36v shutting down

Hello everyone, I need some advice. I have a 36V DCS. The previous owner made his problem my problem. New batteries, new cables, rebuilt controller, new tow switch and new solenoid. It runs like a champ then sporadically loses power and creeping along before ultimately losing power entirely. The solenoid continues to click but the cart no longer moves. Bank still registers 38ish volts when this occurs. If you walk away for a while and come back (without charging or anything else) this process repeats itself all over again. I've read the forum here and about everything I can find on the dcs model but can't find a solution. To me, a rookie with carts, it seems like something is getting hot and shutting down. Perhaps the motor? The previous owner said he swapped a motor and had the same symptoms with a second motor but I can't swear to that. Any guidance or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Diesel14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
jrhanson76
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 DCS 36v shutting down

Ok, same thing as mine. I am now rebuilding the cart again. (Did it 10 years ago for my dad. Well it’s mine now and I might as well get it going again.) I’m thinking it’s a short in the wiring. I’m replacing the wire harness. Some of the wires it was just as easy to do it all. Buying a new alltrex controller. I hope it’s the wiring. It was at the golf cart shop for 5months, they put a factory rebuilt controller on and still same issue. Dude threw my old alltrax controller away and billed me $750 to put a rebuilt EZGO controller in. So I’m tackling it now. I need a project. I hope we can figure this out.
Before going to the shop my dad put a new tps(?) for the throttle, both forward and reverse micro switch’s. So I’m testing it all and make it sure it’s good again. I guess I ramble.
jrhanson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Diesel14
Not Yet Wild

You need a new golf cart shop my friend! Good luck and please let me know if you come up with something. I'm going to rewire my ignition switch today. It is aftermarket and wasn't assembled with wire ends. The ends we're simply wrapped around the screws and tightened.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What you describe is common on the DCS carts usually caused by low voltage. You can check the temperature of the motor by just putting your hand on it but usually the wires will probably be hot also. The best fix for the controller is to drop in an Alltrax xct400dcs with a hd solenoid and good to go. It is also possible that your solenoid has failed. Break out the volt meter and check for pack voltage at both sides of the large lugs on the solenoid when it clicks. If there probably controller.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
Diesel14
Not Yet Wild

Guessing the lift and tires probably just make this more likely? I found a disconnected ground wire behind the ignition switch and fixed that. We've drove it around a bit without issue this morning. It's chilly here (34 degrees) so riding is not comfortable and the cool temperatures may help? I'm still getting 38ish volts everywhere I should.

I found a resistor of some sort under the body. It looks like an old film canister with two female connections. Yellow and white wires from the harness plug into it.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure what that would be.. Nothing I have seen on a stock DCS. Yes the tires will put more of a drain on the system but usually it lowers the battery capacity so you might be having a voltage drop while driving that that controller does not like.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel14 View Post
1. Guessing the lift and tires probably just make this more likely?

2. I found a disconnected ground wire behind the ignition switch and fixed that. We've drove it around a bit without issue this morning.

3.It's chilly here (34 degrees) so riding is not comfortable and the cool temperatures may help? I'm still getting 38ish volts everywhere I should.

4. I found a resistor of some sort under the body. It looks like an old film canister with two female connections. Yellow and white wires from the harness plug into it.
1. The more amps the motor draws through the controller, the hotter the controller gets. The taller the tires, the slower the motor turns and the slower the motor turn, the more amps it can draw. In a nutshell, the controller, motor, cables and contacts get hotter with taller than stock tires. What size tires on cart?

2. There are no ground wire connected to the keyswitch. They are all hot or switched hot.

3. Battery capacity (AH) is rated at 80°F and decreases at roughly 0.625%/1°F, so at 34°F, your batteries only have 71.3% of their rated AH. (IE: 225AH batteries become 160AH batteries at 34°F)

4. What pins on the harness plug at the yellow and white wires connected to? Pictures if possible.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #8
Diesel14
Not Yet Wild

The tires are 20" tall. I'm not sure yet which pins but here's a look at the device I found. It's behind the LF tire so maybe it's taking water (note the rust) and shorting the cart out as it's used? (The brown wires are a jumper into a white)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210114_200508880.jpg (124.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210114_200549281.jpg (357.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Turn signals?
Old 01-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #10
Diesel14
Not Yet Wild

The cart is completely Street legal with turn signals.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO